Best (book) introduction to Buffett and/or business

netnet

During the holidays this year, a youngish cousin (just turned 20) is coming over for a family dinner.  He is a business and economics major.  I want to get him interested in value investing as well as Buffett and Munger.

What is the best introduction to get him on this "path of virtue". I did send him copies of "Elementary Worldly Wisdom" last year.

Suggestions?

I'm thinking biographies as the first "hook"-- like "Damn Right".

During the holidays this year, a youngish cousin (just turned 20) is coming over for a family dinner.  He is a business and economics major.  I want to get him interested in value investing as well Buffett and Munger.

What is the best introduction to get him on this "path of virtue". I did send him copies of "Elementary Worldly Wisdom" last year.

Suggestions?

I'm thinking biographies as the first "hook"-- like "Damn Right".

Damn Right is great. Even greater is Poor Charlie's almanack, but these two aren't the easiest kind of books to start with. There is simply to much wisdom in it to get it in one go. 

The snowball is easier to digest I think.

But the best for a business student is the raw stuff itself : the Buffett shareholder letters.

I usually suggest to my friends Intelligent Investor followed by Klarman's Margin of Safety (or Greenblatt's Little book), and then Buffett's partnership letters.

II: Provides the basic framework

MoS/Little Book: Provide real-world examples

Buffett letters: Provides lessons from the master himself  ;D

I like the II but some of Zweig's commentary is off mark (given that he is an efficient market guy).  For a starter, I would give him an edition without Zweig's commentary.

Packer

Completely agree. The man's words need to be read without forcing Zweig's views on top of them.

+1

This book is a great introduction for investing.  It's very readable, stays on the point and isn't too long (I'm looking at you, Snowball), and isn't technical at all.  While it isn't too great with the nitty-gritty details, I think that's part of the reason why it's so perfect for new people.  It gives you an understanding of the value investing mindset, and has a tendency to give people the Buffett bug.  And for new people, that bug is what drives them to find out more.  And wanting to find out more is what's really important :)

Did he ever say anything about "Elementary Worldly Wisdom"?  I don't know if there's anything to get people interested.  It seems like they are either interested or they are not. When I got interested in value investing I was so excited I started sending stuff to other members of my family.  No one said a word about any of it.

PullTheTrigger may be on to something, show him the returns achieved by those investors and maybe give him some examples of what his net worth would look like if he can compound at close to those rates.  Perhaps mentioning some stories of good investors you know would help as well.

If you find a way that works I'd like to hear what it is.

http://www.amazon.com/Buffett-American-Capitalist-Roger-Lowenstein/dp/067941584X/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=

I 2nd the Lowenstein recommendation, but buy the hardback, you can get for 50 cents plus the $4 shipping on Amazon and maybe follow up with The Dhando Investor by Pabrai. That will give a good start and can continue with Buffett's letters or Tap Dancing to Work.

Cheers,

Jason

Haven't read any of the others comments but I'd say: Give him anything from the classics. If he's really interested he'll read it and look for more no matter what good book/paper/letter to shareholders you gave him. It's true what they say about value investing, you either get it right away or you never do. I've given up trying to convert "investing" friends and others into value investors. Generally the invested time is a waste and for those that it is not, a single recommendation and brief explanation is enough anyway.

Great suggestions.

I 2nd the Lowenstein recommendation
I completely forgot the Lowenstein book.

Did he ever say anything about "Elementary Worldly Wisdom"?
He is normally pretty taciturn, but he said,  "that is one smart, old dude" (I had to chuckle.)

If you can find an old copy of "The Money Masters" by John Train (original one as he has had updates), it was my introduction to WEB. Then have him read some of the early letters to shareholders on the web site.  I believe the early ones were better because the size was much smaller and the companies such as See's , Furniture mart were much easier to understand.