Your returns in 2013

shalab
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I am at 30.03% for the year. 18% cash, 16% Bidvest, and 11% Altius didn't help me. Bidvest is performing well and the Altius story is starting to materialize so hopefully 2014 looks better for this half of my portfolio. I suppose I give up a bit of upside for smooth sailing:

Sharpe Ratio: 2.95

Sortino Ratio: 5.22

Calmar Ratio: 13.04

Standard Deviation: 2.63%

Downside Deviation: 1.06%

Mean Return: 2.24%

Positive Periods: 10 (83.33%)

Negative Periods: 2 (16.67%)

These ratios have been pretty consistent since I started tracking them at IB a few years ago.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I couldn't find the original post where this spreadsheet was uploaded, but here it is in google docs:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahf1UeW1kK_xdE9neWJTTDdUT1c0N3VaRGNpLW4wVHc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

All the fields highlighted in yellow are for user input. Essentially the spreadsheet converts the portfolio value into units, then adjusts the # of units when cash is added/withdrawn.

You can of course change the index comparisons if your benchmarks aren't the S&P/Russel 2000.

To whoever posted this in the first place, thank you!

You are welcome.  I am glad you are finding the spreadsheet useful LC. Here is my original post for some explanation into the spreadsheet although it's pretty easy to figure out

http://www.cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca/forum/general-discussion/2012-returns/msg97835/#msg97835

I put together some rudimentary performance stats for the portfolio.  I used to rely on Fidelity until I realized when I moved cash from USD to a foreign currency they treated it as a withdrawal and never kept track of foreign holdings. 

Overall it looks like I did about 39%, although that's understated maybe 1-5% because I had a large cash withdrawal midway through the year I didn't account for.

Half my stocks are international, half US small caps, my target benchmark did 24% for the year (50% EAFE, 50% Russell 2000 value), so I'm happy with where I ended up.

40% with 1/3-1/2 in cash all the year

I guess I have been too conservative

But I guess I have always been very conservative

never really got caught in a bear market including 2008, but never really had a stellar year (sth like 100%...)

need to live with my personality

104% in my IRA YTD 2014, 24% CAGR in my IRA since June 2009

For 2014, mostly concentrated market neutral workouts and special situations.

Plato,

That's pretty impressive with that much cash. I'll bet you sleep quite well at night.  If you're doing 40%/year, you can afford a few points a year given your ability to sleep at night.  During 2008/2009, did you go from holding cash to fully invested?  What's the composition of your invested capital going into 2008/2009?  There was a lively thread about the merit of holding cash versus not holding cash.  If you were to average all your returns together, did holding cash help or hurt in the long run? 

never really got caught in a bear market including 2008, but never really had a stellar year (sth like 100%...)

I have certainly been a little bit lucky this year. I feel my timing in 2013 was the best in the past 4-5 years. In fact I am still quite a newbie in investment even though I have been actively and seriously managing my own money for 8 years. Compared with many highly experienced and knowledgeable ppl in this forum, I owe my performance to one simple word: copycat .

Looking backward, I may have been too conservative. I was aware of the market danger before 2008, and therefore I went into 2008 with a huge cash position and exited it unscathed. But I was way too bearish that I missed the bottom in 2009. I began to build position again in late 2009. My performance has been very mediocre in those bullish years. Looking backward, I was never caught in a crash (China in 2007, US in 2008), but my problem is I was way too pessimistic. Saying so, I feel reluctant to reduce my current cash position of 30%+ . I never systematically thought about the cash management like you guys in a scientific way although I am a scientist - I just keep a cash position large enough to make myself comfortable. I hope next time when the panic comes I will be brave and smart enough to deploy my cash - it's easier to say than to do.

Plato,

That's pretty impressive with that much cash. I'll bet you sleep quite well at night.  If you're doing 40%/year, you can afford a few points a year given your ability to sleep at night.  During 2008/2009, did you go from holding cash to fully invested?  What's the composition of your invested capital going into 2008/2009?  There was a lively thread about the merit of holding cash versus not holding cash.  If you were to average all your returns together, did holding cash help or hurt in the long run? 

So now that the year is over.

My Roth IRA 42%.

Wife's Roth IRA 51%.

This year I was more conservative than in the past few years, but the market was simply a freight train and as usual I was hit by a luck stick on a couple of occasions. 

2 big Roth IRA Milestones.

My Roth cracked 7 figures for the first time in early October.

On this final day of the year my wife's roth cracked $300k for the first time. (she had only 30k in it 2009 and has not contributed to it since)

My Roth IRA 42%.

Wife's Roth IRA 51%.

This year I was more conservative than in the past few years, but the market was simply a freight train and as usual I was hit by a luck stick on a couple of occasions. 

On this final day of the year my wife's roth cracked $300k for the first time. (she had only 30k in it 2009 and has not contributed to it since)

30K to 300k since 2009 without contributions... that is impressive!

My Roth IRA 42%.

Wife's Roth IRA 51%.

Congrats!  Mine cracked 7 figures the moment that the ORH buyout press release went out in 2009.  My wife's cracked 7 figures last year... on her birthday no less!

Personal Account: 38% (maybe a tad more once I account for some withdrawals)

largest positions as of today are BAC Leaps 31%, AAPL Leaps 15%, SHLD common 12%, USG 8%, SD 7%, STAR 4%

BAC and AAPL leaps played a big part this year. Was looking much better when SHLD was in the 60s :)

Account I manage for a family member (intentionally more diversified): 33%

largest positions as of today are IBM 8%, FIATY 7.5%, BRK 6%, AAPL 5%, BAC-WA 5%, GM-WB 5%. Recently traded larger BAC and GM common positions to the same notional of the warrants to free up some cash. Lots of positions in this account so hard to say off the top my head largest contributors were for the year outside of the BAC common.

Reflections/Mistakes:

- I think my biggest mistake was not buying more FIATY when it was cheaper. I really really like/liked this idea but I didn't match the position size with my conviction.

- I have been holding SHLD for a while and each time it goes over 60 I think about selling half to buy back later but never do, would have added a bit to my returns over the past couple of years. Could of done something similar with AAPL leaps.

Up 49% for the year, 15 year compounded annual return is 37.5% before taxes since I started investing.      Only leverage used was BAC A Warrants when I purchased them in 2012.    I have this incredible desire to keep cash on hand for emergencies and to keep my powder dry for good investments so I keep about 20 to 30% in cash.

+84% in our actively managed accounts. However, we do leave the tax deferred stuff in index funds as a hedge on hubris. Still young with a high income/assets ratio, so we ran more concentration and leverage than we will later on. Biggest winners were BAC, AIG, SHLD, MSFT, GSE preferreds, CHK, short TSLA. Biggest losers were BBRY, NLY, various broad market hedges.

115% to 132% between the two main accounts I manage. I run a very concentrated portfolio (6 to 7 names) with leverage. Less than 1 percent was taxable this year.

The biggest gains were MGIC and CHK. My worst performers were DXM and XCO. My largest position as of now is SD. Like many on the board, I roundtripped with SHLD and XCO.

Up 49% for the year, 15 year compounded annual return is 37.5% before taxes since I started investing.      Only leverage used was BAC A Warrants when I purchased them in 2012.    I have this incredible desire to keep cash on hand for emergencies and to keep my powder dry for good investments so I keep about 20 to 30% in cash.

Impressive long term results! 

my own:

This year:  60% pre tax - probably about 56% after tax

9 year record ~ 41% after tax

Kicking out best and worst year ~ 30% after tax

methodology: report after tax because I pay the taxes straight out of my accounts...estimate taxes for 2013 for above numbers hence the approximation symbols. 

Edited: thought I had 10 year records - only 9 years

Wow, 15 years return will make even buffet envious especially without leverage and cash position, whats your secret holding :)

Wow, 15 years return will make even buffet envious especially without leverage and cash position, whats your secret holding :)

Indeed, it is quite incredible.  That is over 100X the starting capital. 

In general, some of the records here are so impressive.  It is a shame they do manage money publicly

I am happy for all people who had good results this year just amazing to see :D

My returns where 32%. 30% in LRE and FFH combined and around 15% in cash all year so not to bad. Plus I don't use any kind of leverage.