Your returns in 2013

shalab
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

wow, packer, you are my hero

I hope your AIQ will continue to rise (b/c I just bought it a few days ago, believing it's still a 25% yield...)

We will see where I am at year-end as I have volatile stock like SHLD (AIQ) in the portfolio which could materially reduce the return by year-end.  Now I am up about 130% so far this year my best year if it holds to the end of the year.  I don't expect to be anywhere near this number next year.  The TVs along with AIQ helped earlier in the year. 

Packer

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

-6,7% :( most of the year i've been holding just one stock for the long term, and they gave a warning  ::) oh well, over 3 and 5 years i'm still doing fairly well.

edit: everybody else is making profits so i had to calculate. over 3 years i've done 21,2% per year compounded. i figure if i keep this up for the next 20 years i might be able to retire after all.

The return I’ve had on the market this year come out at 27% (so far).

However I took profit from my account, got rid of the old house and mortgage and bought a house cash.

My assets have moved upwards slightly but my net worth has increased 74% due to those (and a few other) moves.

I have more to invest (just) than 12 months ago but have removed the shackles that the banks had upon me.

And that feels good! Next year net money that was going to other people for mortgage/rent will be going gross into my 401k. I’m still hoping that it’ll be a minor amount compared to the outrageous returns I plan to make :D

For 2013, 74.81%.

Hey enoch, don't you have a boatload of cash too?

I have very little cash at the moment, versus just a couple of months ago.  Recently I've bought Sears (again), Fortress Paper, and EXCO Resources, and added significantly to Sarepta Therapeutics.  I've also bought puts on The Royal Bank of Canada.

Well, I'll add a lower one to make you 50%s feel better.  I'm at 24.2% for the year, mostly due to lower returns of compounders (e.g., FFH) and a residual holding from last year that went down pretty hard.  BAC calls mostly offset those though. 

For all the >100% people, I guess you were moving in and out of stuff?  I don't have any positions with > 50% gains, other than BAC calls.

Well, I'll add a lower one to make you 50%s feel better.  I'm at 24.2% for the year, mostly due to lower returns of compounders (e.g., FFH) and a residual holding from last year that went down pretty hard.  BAC calls mostly offset those though. 

For all the >100% people, I guess you were moving in and out of stuff?  I don't have any positions with > 50% gains, other than BAC calls.

Yup. I sold out of my MBIA position the week of the settlement. Sold AIG and BAC for GM. Picked up some SHLD, which despite the last month, is still in the black for me.

The return I’ve had on the market this year come out at 27% (so far).

However I took profit from my account, got rid of the old house and mortgage and bought a house cash.

My assets have moved upwards slightly but my net worth has increased 74% due to those (and a few other) moves.

I have more to invest (just) than 12 months ago but have removed the shackles that the banks had upon me.

And that feels good! Next year net money that was going to other people for mortgage/rent will be going gross into my 401k. I’m still hoping that it’ll be a minor amount compared to the outrageous returns I plan to make :D

Congratulations!  That must feel pretty good.

For 2013, 74.81%.

Hey enoch, don't you have a boatload of cash too?

I have very little cash at the moment, versus just a couple of months ago.  Recently I've bought Sears (again), Fortress Paper, and EXCO Resources, and added significantly to Sarepta Therapeutics.  I've also bought puts on The Royal Bank of Canada.

Enoch,

A question if you are willing to share - Why, of all the financials, did you pick Royal Bank of Canada, why not a US bank (given your residency) or another of the big Canadian banks?

Thanks in advance.

Congratulations!  That must feel pretty good.

sure does. puts us a couple of years away from being reliant on any particular job in order to live.

a few more years from being able to live well without employment....

of course a crash in the value of the shares I hold will put right any thoughts I have of doing that :D

congratulations to everybody on this board. These are all very good results!

I am very happy with my 20%. But this is for a global fund. International markets have been weaker than the US this year (except Japan).

Best US stocks: AIG, Google, Wellpoint, Medtronic, Endurance.

Worst = Oracle and then FFH

Congratulations. Great results for most - only one person posted negative returns.

Investors with below-average results might perhaps be reluctant to publish.

I for instance have managed ~11% only. While disappointed, I have avoided the rule number one...

In retrospect, I have made some mistakes : cash reserve of approximately 50% with a hedged portfolio hoping for a market correction.

Now I am trying to avoid stupid investments motivated by fear of missing out.