Your returns in 2013

shalab
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

According to Fidelity my YTD rate of return is +94.22% as of 11/30/2013.  It will give me total 2013 returns about 10 days or so into next month.  Its been a very good year so far. <knocking on wood>

EDIT: Sorry I read that wrong.  YTD is +83.10%, 1-Year is +94.22%.

Congrats rk and merkhet! Do you mind sharing your portfolio strategies? I think you rank in the top 1/10 of 1% of fund managers!!

My secrets are that 1) I don't manage other people's money, just my own.  I think that right there gives me an advantage over you professionals (no withdrawals) and reduces stress.  2) I go big when I have a good idea.  In the past I have usually had 2-5 good ideas at a time.  This year it was mostly just BAC with a lot of leverage.  3) I coat tail other investors at least to initially find my ideas.  When I find one I love, I invest big.  I made a lot following Biglari into Western sizzlin, Friendlys, Steak & Shake.  I did well with NFLX and CMG a few years ago (sold both too early), as well as ISRG.  I made out very well with the MIDD/OVEN merger a few years back.  And now BAC.  I have no idea where my next idea will come from, but I'll know it when I find it.  It seems to be working so far.

portfolio.jpg.197fa8b34d571a2dd2702063466cf5c6.jpg

Congrats rk and merkhet! Do you mind sharing your portfolio strategies? I think you rank in the top 1/10 of 1% of fund managers!!

My secrets are that 1) I don't manage other people's money, just my own.  I think that right there gives me an advantage over you professionals (no withdrawals) and reduces stress.  2) I go big when I have a good idea.  In the past I have usually had 2-5 good ideas at a time.  This year it was mostly just BAC with a lot of leverage.  3) I coat tail other investors at least to initially find my ideas.  When I find one I love, I invest big.  I made a lot following Biglari into Western sizzlin, Friendlys, Steak & Shake.  I did well with NFLX and CMG a few years ago (sold both too early), as well as ISRG.  I made out very well with the MIDD/OVEN merger a few years back.  And now BAC.  I have no idea where my next idea will come from, but I'll know it when I find it.  It seems to be working so far.

Nice number rkbabang!  Cheers!

What program/site do you use to get those return calculations?

My strategy is pretty similar to rkbabang, though I also manage OPM outside of my taxable account and Roth IRA, and I can tell you that there is definitely some additional stress there.

I'm also a fan of large amounts of concentration, and I don't have that many ideas at any given time. The vast majority of my results this year were the result of concentration in in the following: AIG warrants, BAC common, GM warrants, MBIA common and SHLD common.

What program/site do you use to get those return calculations?

That is just a screen shot of the "Performance" tab when logged into my Fidelity account.  I have all my accounts with Fidelity except my 401K. And my 401K is just in mutual funds anyway so I don't count that as being my performance, but even that is up near 20% this year.

40.5%.  My best year since 2009, which really didn't count since I was just getting my money back.

The surge in the general US indices was just incredible this year, I am mostly just riding that wave and I have found it difficult to get alpha with value stocks.  I think 2014 will be a tougher year for the indexes but a better year for value investing.

We will see where I am at year-end as I have volatile stock like SHLD (AIQ) in the portfolio which could materially reduce the return by year-end.  Now I am up about 136% so far this year my best year if it holds to the end of the year.  I don't expect to be anywhere near this number next year.  The TVs along with AIQ helped earlier in the year. 

Packer