The dirty secrets of clean cars

valueinvesting101

http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2013/12/difference-engine

Interesting article. Renewable energy from Solar and Wind could be answer to electricity generation with falling prices and growing scale. Using electricity for electrolysis can also solve problem of storing electricity effectively only to be used during the day for transportation.

quoting:

Despite the billions of dollars thrown at lithium-ion technology—the battery of choice for plug-in electrics—progress seems to have stalled, while costs have remained stubbornly high at around $2,000 per kilowatt of power.

I hope everyone reading that immediately recognizes how monumentally inaccurate that statement is.

My Tesla has a 85 kWh lithium-ion battery pack.  At $2,000 per kilowatt of power, that amounts to $170,000.

quoting:

Despite the billions of dollars thrown at lithium-ion technology—the battery of choice for plug-in electrics—progress seems to have stalled, while costs have remained stubbornly high at around $2,000 per kilowatt of power.

I hope everyone reading that immediately recognizes how monumentally inaccurate that statement is.

My Tesla has a 85 kWh lithium-ion battery pack.  At $2,000 per kilowatt of power, that amounts to $170,000.

The latest issue of Consumer Reports reports that 99% of Tesla Model S owners say they would buy the car again.  That's unprecedented.