Ten Year Zero v. Ten Year Treasury v. Ten Year CD

A_Hamilton

I'm looking at buying some ten year US government guaranteed instruments as a hedge against deflation.

I can get:

10 year zero: 2.82% (10 year duration)

10 year treasury: 2.69% (8.8 year duration)

10 year FDIC backed CD: 3.307% (CIT or GE; 8.6 year duration; fully saleable on the secondary market)

I'm shocked by the huge spread CD's trade to treasuries. I like the CD option but am afraid that this spread to treasury's won't close (or could rise) if deflation hits and I won't get the same price appreciation on the CD as I might on a treasury if 10 year treasury yield decline say 100 bps. Any thoughts here? Thank you.

AHamilton

if duration is what you seek, any reason not to buy the same amount of duration in long bonds? instead of a X% in 10 yr's why not 0.3X% in 30 year zero's or long bonds? 

since this is likely to be a low return/money loser part of your portfolio (the base case calls for inflation above 0%), I would suggest packing more duration into a smaller % of the portfolio

if duration is what you seek, any reason not to buy the same amount of duration in long bonds? instead of a X% in 10 yr's why not 0.3X% in 30 year zero's or long bonds? 

since this is likely to be a low return/money loser part of your portfolio (the base case calls for inflation above 0%), I would suggest packing more duration into a smaller % of the portfolio

Perhaps smaller position sizing is the way to go w longer duration. I'm a chicken for the long bond duration trades! 10 year CD w/ a coupon 60 bps over treasuries is scary enough!