WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS

giofranchi

Hi guys! This has nothing to do with investments… But in time I have come to reckon all of you on the board truly as “second family”… and now I need some words of wisdom from you!

Tonight I am dating a woman for the first time in… years!! And right now I am simply… terrified!! ;D ;D ;D

I guess I need a little help from my friends! :)

Cheers,

giofranchi

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys! This has nothing to do with investments… But in time I have come to reckon all of you on the board truly as “second family”… and now I need some words of wisdom from you!

Tonight I am dating a woman for the first time in… years!! And right now I am simply… terrified!! ;D ;D ;D

Cheers,

giofranchi

Just be yourself,...

it's nice to be important,... but it's more important to be nice.

...and ignore the crowd,... in the restaurant.  :)

I would suggest to be careful not to be to overly talkative and elaborate about your passion for investments.  ;)

In my experience, stories about undervalued stocks are not exactly an "aphrodisiac" for most women. My wife in any case doesn't faint if I passionately try to explain an investment case. ;D

And if you are so passionnate about investing that you can't imagine any other subject to talk about, no problem : listening seems to work as well as, if not better than talking...

Just be yourself,...

it's nice to be important,... but it's more important to be nice.

...and ignore the crowd,... in the restaurant.  :)

Thank you, berkshiremystery! Always can count on you! :)

Ignore the crowd in the restaurant?! That's a great advice! I guess one of the best way to be nice, right?

Gio

listening seems to work as well as, if not better than talking...

Another wonderful advice! I am already much more relaxed! This board works miracles!! ;)

By the way, she works in the risk-management office in Banca Intesa Sanpaolo, so maybe just a bit about investments… No! No! Just joking! I will keep my mouth shut! ;D ;D

Gio

These are a few points that I have come to learn by trial and error:

1. When you meet, go for a touch directly (f.e. kiss on the cheek)

2. Do not talk about work (and change the subject if she starts talking about hers)

3. Talk about interesting stuff that you have done but do it in a way that you won´t sound arrogant ("I was up in place X and I did this unbelievably stupid thing Y).

4. Ask her silly questions that will make her share her opinion ("are you supposed to floss or brush your teeth first?")

5. Keep on making friendly touches throughout the whole date

6. Don´t compliment her on her looks, just don´t

7. When you ask her questions, do it in an assertive way ("so, tell me..." instead of "can I ask you...")

8. For the rest, I think the best filter is just being yourself. Your trying to find somebody who fits you, not vice versa

Cheers,

giofranchi

An italian asking for dating advice? Ma che cosa è questo? ;) You sound like a very nice guy even across the keyboard, so I am sure you won't have any problems. Just don't talk to her about owner-operators...

Cheers

Gio,

If the 8 point plan fails, there is always Italian wine! I love a good Moscato d'Asti :)

Seriously - if you can show her 50% of your Board enthusiasm and joie de vivre, you shouldn't have any problem!

Also, if things are going well, go walking with her and have dessert at another place - psychologically she'll think you are already on your second date ;)

Best of luck and do let us know how things went!

p.s.

I think the most important thing to do on the first date is to make her laugh and feel confident and secure so that when she later talks the date over with her best girlfriend (they always do :) ) she will be smiling to herself.

That's when you know you get a second one.

Aahh, just reading this reminds me of the thrill of a first date.

It's a great feeling and I can remember well the same feeling on my first date with my wife.

That's why my wife and I still hold dates together. Just an evening out, without the children, to step out of the rat race for a few hours and get in touch again. It reminds us of the sensation and feelings of our dating period. It's not the same as a first date of course, but a good reminder and great for the relationship.

Also, if things are going well, go walking with her and have dessert at another place - psychologically she'll think you are already on your second date ;)

WOW!! And what is supposed to happen on a second date? ... Utterly hopeless, I know ... Please, don't add anything else!! ;D ;D ;D

Gio

... You sound like a very nice guy even across the keyboard, so I am sure you won't have any problems. ...

+1! As already said: Just be yourself! ;-)

x) From her profession to judge you most likely will be met with Qs from her about your work and your company. Try to reply on overall level, but also with some balanced detail, but without beeing too elaborative, and at the same time without giving her the perception of beeing evasive on those questions.

x+1) Stay out of the LRE.L and FFH-topics today on the board, and concentrate/focus on what is important for you today! ;-) [Your LRE.L and FFH positions are afterall long term!]

x+2) I certainly second xtreeq's advice about getting her to laugh! Try get to know what kind of humor she is into. If things work out the way you want right now, you will really need that information for the future, because you are about to double the ups and downs in life for the future. Her downs will then also be your downs, and there is nothing as redemptive like a good laugh when life you lemons.

x+3) Please remember this is a win-win situation, simply because she has already said yes to your invitation! Things might not for whatever reason work out as you want right now, but then you have had the pleasure and opportunity to get to know more about a person, who has caught your attention, interest and attraction!

WOW!! And what is supposed to happen on a second date? ... Utterly hopeless, I know ... Please, don't add anything else!! alt=;Dhttp://www.cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca/forum/Smileys/default/grin.gif[/img] alt=;Dhttp://www.cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca/forum/Smileys/default/grin.gif[/img] alt=;Dhttp://www.cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca/forum/Smileys/default/grin.gif[/img]

No talk about bumpy rides in this topic, please!

Good luck Gio! :-)

... You sound like a very nice guy even across the keyboard, so I am sure you won't have any problems. ...

+1! As already said: Just be yourself! ;-)

x) From her profession to judge you most likely will be met with Qs from her about your work and your company. Try to reply on overall level, but also with some balanced detail, but without beeing too elaborative, and at the same time without giving her the perception of beeing evasive on those questions.

x+1) Stay out of the LRE.L and FFH-topics today on the board, and concentrate/focus on what is important for you today! ;-) [Your LRE.L and FFH positions are afterall long term!]

x+2) I certainly second xtreeq's advice about getting her to laugh! Try get to know what kind of humor she is into. If things work out the way you want right now, you will really need that information for the future, because you are about to double the ups and downs in life for the future. Her downs will then also be your downs, and there is nothing as redemptive like a good laugh when life you lemons.

x+3) Please remember this is a win-win situation, simply because she has already said yes to your invitation! Things might not for whatever reason work out as you want right now, but then you have had the pleasure and opportunity to get to know more about a person, who has caught your attention, interest and attraction!

WOW!! And what is supposed to happen on a second date? ... Utterly hopeless, I know ... Please, don't add anything else!! alt=;Dhttp://www.cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca/forum/Smileys/default/grin.gif[/img] alt=;Dhttp://www.cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca/forum/Smileys/default/grin.gif[/img] alt=;Dhttp://www.cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca/forum/Smileys/default/grin.gif[/img]

No talk about bumpy rides in this topic, please!

Good luck Gio! :-)

These all are wonderful advices!

When I started the thread, I thought: “Oh dear, this has nothing to do with investments… And, as soon as Parsad reads this, he will ban it and cancel it from the face of planet earth…!!”. So, I wasn’t sure about its usefulness… Now, after reading all your answers, I have changed my mind: it is simply about a “different kind of investment”. :)

And let me ask you a question: why jokes keep constantly popping in my mind while I am at work, and vice versa when in company of a woman not a single one comes to mind?!?! Is it only me?! ???

Gio

Gio, some words of advice:

1.  Unbutton 3-4 buttons on your shirt and wear lots of gold chains. 

2.  If you have various tattoos, make sure to show them off.

3.  Order for her and if she says she doesn't like what you ordered shush her and tell her you know what you're doing.

4.  Flex your muscles as often as possible.  For example, if asked where the ladies room is make sure that when you point you show off the guns a little bit.

5. Talk about various "fantasies" you have and ask her to describe hers.  Women enjoy talking about possible escapades on the first date.

6.  Get very, very drunk to demonstrate that you are able to hold your liquor.

7.  Start a fight with a guy sitting at a table near you.  Women love to feel protected.

8.  Swear a lot.  Women like a man who talks like a man.

9.  Talk only about sports and money.  Like #8, women like this.

And finally, 10.  At the end of the date, tell her you had a great time and that she is exactly like your mother and that that is a very good thing (and wink).

3.  Order for her and if she says she doesn't like what you ordered shush her and tell her you know what you're doing.

4.  Flex your muscles as often as possible.  For example, if asked where the ladies room is make sure that when you point you show off the guns a little bit.

5. Talk about various "fantasies" you have and ask her to describe hers.  Women enjoy talking about possible escapades on the first date.

7.  Start a fight with a guy sitting at a table near you.  Women love to feel protected.

And finally, 10.  At the end of the date, tell her you had a great time and that she is exactly like your mother and that that is a very good thing (and wink).

LOL! - Gio, Mungers words "Invert, always invert!" comes to mind, and then you will find Kravens post usefull!

ask lots of questions that elicit answers from her (avoid investments unless she is also interested. also avoid previous relationship and annoying family members).

do more listening than talking. ask follow up questions.

if you don't like her start talking about the pros and cons of investing in BH....

Wonderful Kraven! I knew you would never let me down!

Unfortunately, n.4 won’t work … She runs 10 km in 49 min. … I guess my physical prowess cannot impress her very much… But all other points I am going to learn by heart before evening comes!! ;D ;D

Gio

Wonderful Kraven! I knew you would never let me down!

Unfortunately, n.4 won’t work … She runs 10 km in 49 min. … I guess my physical prowess cannot impress her very much… But all other points I am going to learn by heart before evening comes!! ;D ;D

Gio

You're very welcome. Sorry about #4. Not every item will apply of course. Since you're a good guy I thought of a few other things which might help the evening go smoothly.

11.  Tell her you are very interested in getting married because you're running out of clean socks and underwear and that fridges don't stock themselves.

12.  Tell her you can't wait to have kids because your company owns an interest in some coal mines and some of those tunnels are too small for grown men.

13.  Ask her what the most fun time she ever had is. Say yours is when you went to a "Mary Kate and Ashley are 18!" Party.

14.  In the context of 1-13 (excluding 4 apparently) be yourself, but not too much. Better to be someone you aren't and let her discover the real you sometime after the 1st anniversary.

Hope this helps.

You're very welcome. Sorry about #4. Not every item will apply of course. Since you're a good guy I thought of a few other things which might help the evening go smoothly.

11.  Tell her you are very interested in getting married because you're running out of clean socks and underwear and that fridges don't stock themselves.

12.  Tell her you can't wait to have kids because your company owns an interest in some coal mines and some of those tunnels are too small for grown men.

13.  Ask her what the most fun time she ever had is. Say yours is when you went to a "Mary Kate and Ashley are 18!" Party.

14.  In the context of 1-13 (excluding 4 apparently) be yourself, but not too much. Better to be someone you aren't and let her discover the real you sometime after the 1st anniversary.

Hope this helps.

WOW! Now the points to remember by heart are 13… Guess I will have to make use of my MEMORY PALACE!! ;D ;D ;D

Gio

PS

Now that I think of it, I can add point n.15: talk to her about your memory palace! Women love men with prodigious memories! ;D