FFH at multi-year high

Buffett_Groupie

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think on BOI they have a gain around 170%, and the EUR has weakened around 5% against USD. They bought at 0.10 EUR, and currently it's at 0.27 EUR. So I think the initial investment of $387mm is worth around $1b for a gain of around $30 per Fairfax share.

I think on BOI they have a gain around 170%, and the EUR has weakened around 5% against USD. They bought at 0.10 EUR, and currently it's at 0.27 EUR. So I think the initial investment of $387mm is worth around $1b for a gain of around $30 per Fairfax share.

In another thread somebody mentioned a gain of 1 billion the other day.

Anybody knows the number of shares they have in BKIR?

In another thread somebody mentioned a gain of 1 billion the other day.

Anybody knows the number of shares they have in BKIR?

Would be curious where that number came from.

I based things on the 2011 annual letter where separately Prem mentions the cost per share and aggregate cost. But I believe this is the latest 13G http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/915191/000119312511286435/d249036dsc13g.htm.

Despite the hedges working against it and BB's cloud overhead, the multi-year high must be a result of  the investment in Bank of Ireland which is a 3-bagger, right? :-)

I wouldn't read too much into the stock price.  Insurance is positive, hedges are negative, bond portfolio is negative, equities are positive, BBRY is negative, possible inclusion into indices is positive and a host of other possibilities.  Cheers!

Been doing so for the last 15 years after getting first 200 shares at $498 in 1998.  Thus, may well be more tempered and patient than anyone on this board!  8)

Lol! I agree, even if I got my shares at a better price.

All the hype around BBRY take-over was at least a good PR exercise for Prem/FFH.

They've been in the headlines all around the world.

Maybe that explains in part the recent runup of the SP.

We shall see if it drops when earnings are released next week.

Meanwhile, let's enjoy it!

I have Google set to notify every time there is something in the news about FFH. I usually get a couple of items a week, but for the past several months I am getting five or ten a day a day or more.

For a lot of people FFH has been flying under the radar for a long time and you have to wonder if all the recent talk about BBRY has made a lot of investors take a closer look at it and they like what they see. HOWEVER we've seen these ups and downs many times before and one has to wonder if its time to take some profit to re-invest later.  Is anyone doing this now?

A few questions:

How much income are they making from their bond portfolio at the moment

By what spread are they beating the market short position at the moment

How much underwriting profit are they generating

Do value oriented investors hold it and will they still hold it in a market collapse when bargains emerge everywhere?

For a lot of people FFH has been flying under the radar for a long time and you have to wonder if all the recent talk about BBRY has made a lot of investors take a closer look at it and they like what they see. HOWEVER we've seen these ups and downs many times before and one has to wonder if its time to take some profit to re-invest later.  Is anyone doing this now?

Yes sold a little @430 and $440 over the past couple of days.

Mr Market may be starting to consider a deflationary scenario and therefore is placing value on FFH's deflationary bet -- we don't need deflation to set in --- all we need is the expectation that it might. Also--the US 10 year hit 3%+ a few weeks ago --  now trading at 2.50% -- given their deflationary view--- is it possible that Brian B loaded up on US government bonds at the 3% level?