Getting rid of my cable

Guest 50centdollars

Guest 50centdollars

I have been reading a lot lately about people getting rid of their cable TV. I have been thinking about doing the same. I don't really watch much TV anymore and I mostly watch TV and movies over the internet anyway. The only thing I watch on TV is live sports but I've found sites online where I can watch those too now. I live in Canada where cable bills are quite expensive and I think I'm going to get rid of my cable.  From what I've read, it seems that a lot of people are doing the same. I talk to many co-workers and friends and they are thinking about getting rid of their cable. Anyway, I thought it would be a good discussion for the board. Have any of you ditched cable recently? Should I?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrymagid/2013/03/19/households-abandoning-cable-and-satellite-for-streaming/

I don't have cable anymore. It takes a bit of getting used to but I'm very glad I don't have it. I now exercise and read a lot more than before. And...I save money by not having it! To be fair, I live alone. If I had a wife or kids, I doubt it would be so easy to ditch the cable.  ;)

I don't have cable anymore. It takes a bit of getting used to but I'm very glad I don't have it. I now exercise and read a lot more than before. And...I save money by not having it! To be fair, I live alone. If I had a wife or kids, I doubt it would be so easy to ditch the cable.  ;)

Ditto

+1

I got rid of cable and my TV about a decade ago. The only thing that made me want to watch TV in that period was the Tsunami in 2004 in the Indian Ocean.

Nowadays, my computer screen is large enough that if there is something I wish to watch, I download it and watch at my leisure.

If you have children it's even more important IMHO as TV exposes them to countless ads that promote a consumerist mindset, which is detrimental to their long term well-being (emotional as well as financial).

Almost 7 years without cable now, and I have a wife and kids. When we first cut cable, it was simply to save money after our first was born and my wife stopped working. But now, I honestly believe we're all better without it in the house, especially the kids at this age. I don't think I'd take it back now even if it was free. The only time I can remember missing it was when the Winter Olympics were here in Vancouver... we went to a family member's house to watch the gold medal hockey game.

We subscribe to Netflix, which provides more quality kids programming than they could ever consume, along with a mediocre selection of movies and TV. We download or rent from the library all the TV shows we want to see, and watch them when we want. I much prefer to watch a season of Breaking Bad all at once anyway.

The big benefit, IMO, is how it's changed our TV-watching patterns. With cable, I remember that it was common practice to just flop down in front of the TV to "see what's on." Now when we watch, it's a deliberate decision to watch a specific piece of content. Then when it's over, the TV turns off and we go do something else.

Don't have TV for a few years either. We also have a toddler who is growing up without a TV (albeit with computer screen at times), and feel that is in part contributing positively to his development (reading before 3). Also, we recently went to relatives house for a visit, and watched some TV, and I couldn't believe the amount of advertising that they show nowadays along with actual content. It really jumps out at you if you haven't watched TV for a while.

Don't have TV for a few years either. We also have a toddler who is growing up without a TV (albeit with computer screen at times), and feel that is in part contributing positively to his development (reading before 3). Also, we recently went to relatives house for a visit, and watched some TV, and I couldn't believe the amount of advertising that they show nowadays along with actual content. It really jumps out at you if you haven't watched TV for a while.

Same here (other than the toddler reading before 3, how did you accomplish that?)

Almost 7 years without cable now, and I have a wife and kids. When we first cut cable, it was simply to save money after our first was born and my wife stopped working. But now, I honestly believe we're all better without it in the house, especially the kids at this age. I don't think I'd take it back now even if it was free. The only time I can remember missing it was when the Winter Olympics were here in Vancouver... we went to a family member's house to watch the gold medal hockey game.

We subscribe to Netflix, which provides more quality kids programming than they could ever consume, along with a mediocre selection of movies and TV. We download or rent from the library all the TV shows we want to see, and watch them when we want. I much prefer to watch a season of Breaking Bad all at once anyway.

The big benefit, IMO, is how it's changed our TV-watching patterns. With cable, I remember that it was common practice to just flop down in front of the TV to "see what's on." Now when we watch, it's a deliberate decision to watch a specific piece of content. Then when it's over, the TV turns off and we go do something else.

This is our experience, cut cable eight years ago, at the time I told my wife she could buy whatever shows she wanted on iTunes up to $50 a month.  Well, she never purchased a thing, we have NetFlix and Amazon Prime now, more than enough.  We never flop down in front of the TV, it's a deliberate decision, there are many days the only time the TV comes on is for my oldest, he watches one kids show each morning on NetFlix.

For sports doesn't everyone get over the air?  We watch the Steelers on over the air, we have an antenna outside.

On advertisements, anytime I watch normal TV now I can't stand it, there are so many ads.  My son who has essentially only known TV as Netflix gets bored.  We'll be at a grandparents house and when a commercial comes on he thinks the show is over, he can't pay attention during them and gets up to do something else. 

This is our experience, cut cable eight years ago, at the time I told my wife she could buy whatever shows she wanted on iTunes up to $50 a month.  Well, she never purchased a thing, we have NetFlix and Amazon Prime now, more than enough.  We never flop down in front of the TV, it's a deliberate decision, there are many days the only time the TV comes on is for my oldest, he watches one kids show each morning on NetFlix.

For sports doesn't everyone get over the air?  We watch the Steelers on over the air, we have an antenna outside.

On advertisements, anytime I watch normal TV now I can't stand it, there are so many ads.  My son who has essentially only known TV as Netflix gets bored.  We'll be at a grandparents house and when a commercial comes on he thinks the show is over, he can't pay attention during them and gets up to do something else.

Not that it stopped us (we also have no cable and watch the Steelers OTA) but the Pirates aren't available OTA (or the Penguins, but I've never been a hockey fan).  I imagine there are other situations like that.  There are ways to work around it, but it's not quite as simple.

I currently don't even have a television :) . Lended it to my parents, turns out I don't really miss it. Though thinking about installing a beamer for the occasional movie / sports event. Unfortunately I still have cable .. Most providers here (Netherlands) have a standard Triple Play package, I can hardly get internet without cable television.

I currently don't even have a television :) . Lended it to my parents, turns out I don't really miss it. Though thinking about installing a beamer for the occasional movie / sports event. Unfortunately I still have cable .. Most providers here (Netherlands) have a standard Triple Play package, I can hardly get internet without cable television.

They don't have an internet and phone only package?  My cable company has the triple package as well as packages for any one or two.  I'd save about $100 a month if I got rid of TV from my package.  The wife and kids are the only reason I don't.

I've been kicking around this idea lately as well.

I have a bundled package thru Time Warner for cable/internet/phone.  And have cell phones thru Verizon for the family as well.  The amount I'm paying for these two services makes me cringe.

For the phones, I've been kicking around the idea of getting pay as you go cricket phones for emergency calling, then buying a couple if iPod Touches for the family to use for their internet and texting.  That would save a lot of money each month on the phone plan.

Not sure what I'm gonna do about the cable plan though.

I've been kicking around this idea lately as well.

I have a bundled package thru Time Warner for cable/internet/phone.  And have cell phones thru Verizon for the family as well.  The amount I'm paying for these two services makes me cringe.

For the phones, I've been kicking around the idea of getting pay as you go cricket phones for emergency calling, then buying a couple if iPod Touches for the family to use for their internet and texting.  That would save a lot of money each month on the phone plan.

Not sure what I'm gonna do about the cable plan though.

I haven't had a cell phone plan in about 10 years.  I had a Sprint 200 min for $19/month plan way back when.  This is my current phone: LG 840G Prepaid Tracfone.  My wife and kids have tracfones as well.  They are fine for talking and texting.  We have iPads/Kindle Fires/iPods/computers/etc for internet when at home.

I have cable mainly for sports. If I could get ESPN, the NFL network, TNT & TBS w/out cable, I'd drop it.

I'm really hoping the NFL will offer the NFL Sunday ticket online after their contract with DIRECTV is up next year. I'm sure they won't though.

Not that it stopped us (we also have no cable and watch the Steelers OTA) but the Pirates aren't available OTA (or the Penguins, but I've never been a hockey fan).  I imagine there are other situations like that.  There are ways to work around it, but it's not quite as simple.

You in the Pittsburgh area?  l get together with some other value investors in the burgh maybe once every other month, I'll add you to the email list if you're interested.

In terms of hockey and baseball, my wife purchased the MLB package on the iPad so she could watch the Reds (die-hard Reds fan).  I believe we could get a iPad to HDMI cable if we wanted to watch it on the TV.  I think there's an NHL package like this as well.

Ya I'm going to get rid of it soon. I wonder if the cable companies are nervous at all about this?

I don't think so. When most people dump their cable package they usually use Netflix or something like that. Who controls the "toll bridge" to get to Nettflix? The same cable companies. Hearing John Malone speak he acknowledges that these bundled packages won't be around in 5 years though he also thinks the current model with content providers shouldering no usage cost is unsustainable.