what are you selling today?

muscleman

47 minutes ago, Gregmal said:

Maybe we re talking different things. I interpreted your question as asking the rationale for selling. I don’t own it and have little interest but the rationale seems pretty simple. There’s better opportunities for the cash than sitting around for a couple quarters to make a few percent, especially with those uncertainties which whether likely to occur or not are things folks would consider. If the spread was 15%? Sure I’d kick the tires. But not single digits.

I think your view makes sense and explains the spread that has developed. It’s not surprising there is more supply than demand given the competition for capital. The risk adjusted return still seems worthwhile though depending on the odds of the various outcomes. Risk arb spreads in general are quite wide and there are more deals than capital available to invest in the strategy. Clearly not for everyone. 

Sold some ATCO from my retirement portfolio and picked up some more JOE.  If the deal goes through, I'm losing a few nickels, if it doesn't, I can buy it back later at the pre-offer price with no consequences.  I'm still holding my much larger position in my taxable account and I plan on voting against the deal. If the deal goes through, hopefully it will be after Jan 1, but if it doesn't go through, I may add more on the dip. 

1 hour ago, Spekulatius said:

Sold CSVI in my tax deferred accounts after they received a buyout offer. Another one of my buggers gone.

Same. Bittersweet to see this one go. Nice to see a 50% jump on a day where the markets are down 2%, but at the same time I don't think it's greatest deal for shareholders. 

1 minute ago, aesophawk said:

Same. Bittersweet to see this one go. Nice to see a 50% jump on a day where the markets are down 2%, but at the same time I don't think it's greatest deal for shareholders. 

The deal works for me. I bought when it dropped to a bit above $40 and then more when it went to $37 recently. I learned about this business from the focusedcompounding podcast. I think they had a position in it years ago and sold. The stock got very expensive in 2019 but with the crash in Fintechs, the price got down to a pretty reasonable valuation again. This is just one of those boring business that keeps plugging along.

20 hours ago, nwoodman said:

50% of my OXY position. Would consider repurchasing if we get a 5 in front again

it's up about 25% in two months.  If it was in retirement portfolio I would probably sell too and buy back in a pullback, but in my taxable account it's all short term gains 😞 

35 minutes ago, Saluki said:

it's up about 25% in two months.  If it was in retirement portfolio I would probably sell too and buy back in a pullback, but in my taxable account it's all short term gains 😞 

This was me riding out CVE warrants when CVE went to 24 and back down to 16. $8 in foregone gains. Should've paid the taxes 😄.

Sold short a small position in QQQ at 417.67. This is mainly to test out my new IB account, but it also adds just a little bit of a portfolio hedge. This position is equal to about 150 basis points of my invested equity capital and a much smaller % of my overall since I'm heavy in cash right at the moment. 

I've been selling some profitable hedge positions on the SPY. Sold several puts at several strike prices and also exited a 420/410 debit spread on the SPY that was quite profitable. 

I'm rolling some of those proceeds into lower strike price debit spreads spaced through late September into mid October with strike prices starting at $390 and short puts down to $365. 

Overall I reduced my options exposure by greater than 50%, but if the market drops another 5-10% over the next month to month and a half this should generate as much or more profit than the long  ITM puts I just exited.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, nwoodman said:

Sold remaining ATCO and bought FFH and BRK.B with the proceeds.  Still firmly believe they will raise the bid on ATCO but the price for FFH and BRK quite compelling here.  

Also unloaded some more ATCO to move into more compelling opps. Given how badly smoked most shipping comps have gotten since the original takeover offer was made, I'd be pretty shocked to see a raise at this point. Market price still a tiny bit above the offer price so who knows. Would probably be trading with a $9 handle today if not for the offer