what are you selling today?

muscleman

Yes, I have also wondered what happens to XIV if VIX jumps 100% in a single day (not inconceivable now given VIX is in the 12-14 range). These products are based on VIX futures. Would the exchange allow a +100% move on the futures in a single day? Aren't there margin rules and/or disruption rules designed to limit the movement in a single session?

If XIV drops 80% in a single day, it will automatically be liquidated.  This is the scenario I mean when I say it'll eventually going to 0.  (I'm curious what happens if it gaps to over a 100% loss.  I guess the fund company gets burned in that case.)

I'm not sure if there are restrictions on the VIX futures movement.  I'd guess not.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Generally I do not. Shorter term options I keep very small percentage of total portfolio. Those wday options were 1.3% of my total portfolio and are pure speculation on short term movements. More than large enough if they really get going.

Longer term put options like CRM I buy much more agressively, also because my conviction is a lot higher. I do sell all the way down however. I've found timing way to hard, especially with shorter term options where you can have fluctuations of 100-300%/day.

Have been selling CVX and will sell more to gradually close my position.

Be in a relationship with CVX for 10yrs, time for us to part ways.

Why?

Well I don't follow it as much as I use to. But the bottom line is:

- profits are at record highs because of $90 / barrel oil, when I first bought it oil was at $30 / barrel

- if oil prices drop CVX profits will plummet

- I look back at the last 10yrs, thank god I didn't own BP, it wasn't skill that led me to choose CVX and avoid the offshore oil spill

- CVX is getting a lot of good press lately about how its return on assets are excellent and how well it is managed

- oil is going to be more and more capital intensive and we go to more difficult places to extract it

- CVX is large cap, and I am becoming a hard core small cap investor

- I expect CVX to perform roughly in line with the market, and I only invest now expecting to beat the market

So basically, it is good time to sell off the top.....

Selling Nothing.

I think there are a ridiculous amount of companies trading at ridiculously high prices. But the selling is across the board so the few baraings that previously existed are even more of a bargain. FIAT and Corning have held up well, at least for now.

I have a lot of cash and I'm seeing more opportunities emerging. I'm interested in buying soon, Specifically GM and Toyota. I've been watching Korean preferred stocks like Hyundai and Samsung but they are actually a bit higher in price, but still ridiculously cheap. If we have another few days in the red I'll likely make a few buys.

• 2 weeks later...

Sold some WDAY puts for a near 10-bagger. Still hating that I didn't get those other puts last week. Bought some short term Linkedin puts around opening with fraction of profits.

Glad someone finally stepped on the sell button on CRM. N earnings tonight could move it another way quickly however.

• 1 month later...

Hi rpadebet - Agree that it's pretty cheap, but I enter most of my positions via puts.  Also, I sell puts monthly on stocks that I feel are undervalued, not always with the hope that they are assigned.  If they're assigned I sell calls on them until they're called away.

Thanks   

To the Board:

Please post your buys and sells in a more timely manner. It would appear that not everything is being reported and what is being reported is only after some delay. We need to ensure that accuracy is maintained.

Thank you for your cooperation in this very important matter.

It's a good point Kraven.

I am going to use that as an opportunity to put in a pre-emptive sell order on the SPY ETF.  I am 100% short the index when the transaction occurs.

NOTE: As this is a pre-emptive order, the transaction is subject to certain conditions being met.  Specifically the SPY must decrease in value by more than 1% by tomorrow's close.  Failing that condition I revoke my pre-emptive order.

:P