Guy Spier Columbia Interview

Parsad

I thought it was a great interview as well.  I think I recall seeing that his fund was up something like 280% since inception in 1997 (as of the end of 2012), as compared to something like 48% for the S&P over that period. 

Even without all of the positive associations (Pabrai, Buffett), you get the sense very quickly that he is a very high quality person.

Even without all of the positive associations (Pabrai, Buffett), you get the sense very quickly that he is a very high quality person.

I'll tell you what type of person he is.  While I had met him before a couple of times, it was in Omaha 2010, when I actually spent a fare bit of time with him.  Mohnish, Guy, Alnesh, Dr. Ajay Desai, myself and a couple of friends were having a very late bite to eat, about 1am or so, at the burger restaurant in Harrah's in Council Bluffs.  During all of the discussion, Guy is occasionally taking photographs..nothing unusual.  A very charming, affable fellow I found him to be!

About two-three weeks later, a package arrives at my desk in my office.  It's a photograph Guy took of Alnesh and myself.  He had it printed, labelled, framed and shipped over to me for no reason...other than that is his nature.  It's on my desk to this day!  Cheers!

I'll tell you what type of person he is.  While I had met him before a couple of times, it was in Omaha 2010, when I actually spent a fare bit of time with him.  Mohnish, Guy, Alnesh, Dr. Ajay Desai, myself and a couple of friends were having a very late bite to eat, about 1am or so, at the burger restaurant in Harrah's in Council Bluffs.  During all of the discussion, Guy is occasionally taking photographs..nothing unusual.  A very charming, affable fellow I found him to be!

About two-three weeks later, a package arrives at my desk in my office.  It's a photograph Guy took of Alnesh and myself.  He had it printed, labelled, framed and shipped over to me for no reason...other than that is his nature.  It's on my desk to this day!  Cheers!

Great anecdote. Thanks for sharing  :)

Guest FFHfan

Comparison: Aquamarine Fund vs. S&P vs. MSCI

Total Return: Aquamarine Fund 298.5%

MSCI World 39.0%

S&P 98.3%

Annualized: Aquamarine Fund 9.5%

MSCI World 2.2%

S&P 4.3%