Taxes and options

rohitc99

I have question on options and taxes and would appreciate if someone can answer or direct me to the right source for it

- If i sell an option at a loss and buy the common on the same stock at the same time in a 401K or similar tax deferred account, does the wash rule apply ?

- does the wash rule apply if i sell the option at a loss and buy the common at the same time in a regular brokerage account ?

thanks in advance

A related question.

Let's say I bought SHLD in August. Assume SHLD goes to $100 by November, and I buy 2015 $100 puts on my entire position. What is the earliest date that I can exit my Sears position to avoid paying short-term capital gains?

The alternative formulation is as follows:

Let's say I bought SHLD in August. Assume SHLD goes to $100 by November. What can I do in order to maintain (most) of my gain and avoid paying short-term capital gains tax?

It appears the answer is yes and yes, and that separate brokerage accounts make no difference.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p550/ch04.html#en_US_2012_publink100010601

thanks Jbird. does it mean that the same rule applies if i sell a put and buy a call on the same stock

if i buy a put for 100$ and sell for 80. incur a loss of 20$.

at the same time i buy a call for 80$. the wash rule will imply, that i cannot claim the tax loss, but can step up the tax basis for the call to 100$ ?

thanks in advance