Manual of Ideas - Mihaljevic

Packer16

[amazonsearch]Manual of Ideas[/amazonsearch]

This has been one of the greatest books I have read in a while (at least since The Most Important Thing).  It is a compilation of the approached of great value investors (including names for all you cloners out there) and dives into methodologies, strength, pitfalls, screening and questions to ask about investments of each types.  It draws on the collective wisdom collected at the Manual of Ideas site so there is broad depth of knowledge.  It even references this great site Sanjeev has built (see page 143).  I have already found some interesting folks to follow along with a few new ideas.  I can see returning to this volume periodically to refresh with the info therein.

Packer

Guest hellsten

Thanks. Just ordered the book. A big thank you goes to Manual of Ideas too for publishing so many great interviews and resources.

This has been one of the greatest books I have read in a while (at least since The Most Important Thing).  It is a compilation of the approached of great value investors (including names for all you cloners out there) and dives into methodologies, strength, pitfalls, screening and questions to ask about investments of each types.  It draws on the collective wisdom collected at the Manual of Ideas site so there is broad depth of knowledge.  It even references this great site Sanjeev has built (see page 143).  I have already found some interesting folks to follow along with a few new ideas.  I can see returning to this volume periodically to refresh with the info therein.

Packer

Packer, how does it compare to the new Tilson book "The Art of Value Investing"?  Is it similar?  I've been reading the Tilson book and while it's good and there's some good quotes, very good in fact, I find it doesn't hold my interest.  It's easy to read a page or 2 here and there, but not so easy to just sit down and keep reading quotes.

It has much more meat organized along type of value investment and strings ideas together.  While in The Art of Value Investing you have to string many of the ideas yourself but they are straight from the horses mouth.

Packer

Thanks.  Sounds like it's worth checking out.

• 1 month later...

I usually order each new value investing book. I skim it quickly and toss it aside irritated I wasted the time and money. I expected something similar here and was very pleasantly surprised to be wrong. This book is a definite cut above the usual investing book. I would liken it to a graduate level survey course in that it covers a lot of topics, but don't take that to mean it isn't entertaining. It's sophisticated and an enjoyable read. I think that any investor interested in the topic, whether a novice or experienced, would get something out of the book. Recommended highly.

• 3 months later...

I have just finished reading the book, and I must say it is very well written and very informative by any standard! Imo, an outstanding job! :)

If I may provide a very small and not truly important criticism, in the chapter about “Jokey Stocks” I would have stressed more insistently on the importance of reading and studying the lives of great entrepreneurs and capital allocators… Mr. Mihaljevic rightly says there is no sure formula for identifying future business leaders… Yet, I believe that, anyone who takes the time and makes the effort of studying the lives of Mr. Buffett, Mr. Walton, Mr. Malone, Mr. Icahn, Mr. Singleton, Mr. Templeton and other great businessmen of the past, Mr. Baruch, Mr. Keynes, Mr. Rockefeller, Mr. Mellon, Mr. Baker, Mr. Sage, Mr. Vanderbilt, Mr. Franklin, etc., would enjoy at least a rough guide on what to look for. ;)

Gio