BRK Shares Conversion

20ppy

Converting from A shares to B shares is quite straightforward, but my question is how about B to A? I understand brokerages don't do that by design. So who can and does the conversion from B to A? If nobody ever does it, how can B shares maintain it's prices relative to 1/30th of A's?

20ppy

B shares can not be converted to A.  No investor or brokerage can do this.  Hypothetically, I would imagine that the company could buy in B shares, cancel them, and issue 1/30 as many A shares in their place, if deemed necessary or useful.

Your second question is somewhat vague. It is logically similar to:

1) Why does any stock maintain it's price? 

Or perhaps: 2) How does any company that does not pay a dividend maintain it's share price? 

The answer is that investors have faith that their electronic record of share ownership represents a share of a business, and that in the future, their prices of the share will grow or shrink along with the success of the company. If you don't believe in that idea then I am afraid you may be on the wrong message board.

Voting control at Berkshire is irrelevant in the near future, so there is no sizable premium for A shares (which have greater relative voting power per dollar of share price)

Apologies if I have misunderstood your questions.

Hi 20ppy...  There's no formal option to convert B's to A's, but rational value investors tend to keep the A-to-B ratio within 30:1 to say 2 pct overage, 30.6:1 range.  Mr Buffett discusses that in one of the annual reports shortly after the B's were issued - see 1997 perhaps.  Also, besides the actions of investment professionals, there are individual shareholders who trade the A-to-B ratio: when A/B goes higher than usual, sell A to buy B's; and vice versa when A/B goes lower than usual.  You can find some old posts about what is usual on the Motley Fool BRKA board, which is readable without joining I believe, and more recent discussion on the Yahoo chucks_angels group, which is worth joining for coverage of precisely that sort of topic.  Trading the A/B ratio gives some almost-all-Berkshire long term holders something to do, to keep them from dabbling in murky waters.

Thanks for all the good replies to the questions that were not entirely clear. But the idea was to understand who actually do B to A as a service or something like that. I think I get the general picture. Berkshire is probably the only one that might do B to A conversion if and when needs arise.