Looking for Information Regarding After Tax Performance for Mutual/Hedge Funds

racemize

I'm working on an essay that delves into the effect of taxes on reported performance for mutual and hedge funds (e.g., to show after-tax results), but I need to get some reputable statistics to show the representative effect in the essay.  Does anyone know of some good studies or papers that show average turn-over rates, long/short term holdings, etc. for mutual funds and hedge funds? 

Or perhaps there is already a good paper on this whole concept--that could be handy as well.

I don't think you'll be able to find that information for hedge funds. I think that most money invested in HFs is tax-exempt. In addition, funds don't need to publicly disclose returns, nor do they have to disclose who their investors are.

Depending on what you need to write this paper for, maybe you can analyze the performance differential between onshore vs offshore vehicles for the same hedge fund management companies?

I don't think you'll be able to find that information for hedge funds. I think that most money invested in HFs is tax-exempt. In addition, funds don't need to publicly disclose returns, nor do they have to disclose who their investors are.

Depending on what you need to write this paper for, maybe you can analyze the performance differential between onshore vs offshore vehicles for the same hedge fund management companies?

Yeah, I figured hedge funds would be much more difficult--I was not aware that "most money invested in HFs is tax-exempt", what makes you think that?  It seems like it would be hard for "most money" to be tax-exempt, generally, but perhaps I am totally off base.

I don't think you'll be able to find that information for hedge funds. I think that most money invested in HFs is wishes it were tax-exempt. In addition, funds don't need to publicly disclose returns, nor do they have to disclose who their investors are.

Tax-exempt because many, if not most, of the largest hedge fund investors are large institutional clients such as pension funds (i.e Los Angeles Fire and Police Pensions, or CALPERS) .

I am not too familiar with tax law, but I know that another large hedge fund investment component are foreign entities (sovereign wealth funds; foreign pension funds, banks, and insurance companies; etc) and I am not sure how those entities are taxed on US investments.