accuracy of holdings from dataroma

racemize

Hi all, I've been using dataroma for a while to keep track of positions of investors (e.g., if I want to look it up quickly).  However, I've noticed that they don't appear to be all that accurate.  For example, they typically don't show warrant positions or some of the smaller positions (e.g, missing GM warrants for Pabrai, or missing various bank warrants for Berkowitz).  Here's two different websites for the same data:

http://www.dataroma.com/m/holdings.php?m=fairx

http://whalewisdom.com/filer/fairholme-capital-management-llc

Anyone else notice this?  I should probably just be emailing this to dataroma, but perhaps I'm missing something obvious...

Here's the response from dataroma (re Berkowitz and Pabrai), just for completion's sake:

Thanks for the msg.

We cover the Fairholme Fund as opposed to the asset management holding company. The fund actually has a quarter end date which is a month earlier (currently 31 May 2013). So there would be some differences there.

With regards to warrants, we currently don't report them. We also don't report preferreds or options. We only report common stocks.

Best regards,

Sina,

Dataroma.

Here's the response from dataroma (re Berkowitz and Pabrai), just for completion's sake:

Thanks for the msg.

We cover the Fairholme Fund as opposed to the asset management holding company. The fund actually has a quarter end date which is a month earlier (currently 31 May 2013). So there would be some differences there.

With regards to warrants, we currently don't report them. We also don't report preferreds or options. We only report common stocks.

Best regards,

Sina,

Dataroma.

Thanks racemize for the follow up. Concerning Berkowitz, I think they are wrong and should track all the asset under management, not just one fund...but it is their choice. Concerning warrants and preferreds, once again, it is their choice, but the danger is that it could be showing a false portrait.