Patrick Byrne Memorizes Deck of Cards

Parsad

That's a skill you can learn.  A lot of memory techniques involve converting difficult-to-remember stuff into things that are easier to remember.

For example, you can concoct a story that is something like the following:

Once upon a time, there was ONE HEART.  It was a heart that had to be buried into the ground with FOUR SPADES, because four is an unlucky number.  Everybody at the ceremony was from TWO different CLUBS: the village of graham and dodd and the church of Jim Cramer.

etc. etc.

If you look on Google you can find better memory systems.

That's a skill you can learn.  A lot of memory techniques involve converting difficult-to-remember stuff into things that are easier to remember.

For example, you can concoct a story that is something like the following:

Once upon a time, there was ONE HEART.  It was a heart that had to be buried into the ground with FOUR SPADES, because four is an unlucky number.  Everybody at the ceremony was from TWO different CLUBS: the village of graham and dodd and the church of Jim Cramer.

etc. etc.

If you look on Google you can find better memory systems.

Sure, I know you can do it, but it's still fun to watch.  I remember in grade 12 I had to write my provincial exam for biology.  I had not studied the months leading up to it, and it was going to be worth 50% of my mark.  I memorized my entire text book verbatim in two nights, wrote the exam, and had one of the highest scores in the province.  Cheers!

If you're interested in this kind of thing "Moonwalking with Einstein" by Joshua Foer is a fun read.

Great read.  :)

I believe at Overstock's team meeting one morning in the last couple of weeks.  I believe Mohnish can do this as well, as he once told me he could count cards. 

Looks like Patrick's lost some weight as well.  Cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S9cjzlQLq8

Nothing to it.  Someone I know very well can count every card in a six deck shoe and compute a ratio of remaining cards to others.  :)

Blackjack anyone?