"Value Line" Like Publications by Country

PSDFinancier

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to figure out what are the Value Line equivalent type publications by country, and was looking for some help. I know about the Japan Company Handbook for Japan, but what about for other developed countries (e.g., Canada, UK, France, Germany, etc.)? Would love to make a list here so that all of us have a resource. Thanks guys!

Best,

PSD Financier

There was a New Zealand Yearbook published by IRG: http://www.intelligentinvestor.co.nz/products/2011%252d2012-New-Zealand-Investment-Yearbook-.html

I have that edition, I went through each company and ended up purchasing Guinness Peat Group which worked out exceedingly well. I purchased the book on that site about a year ago, somehow I got free 2nd day air shipping when I ordered, not sure how I swung that.

I have inquired about a book like this for the AIM, no luck. A book with European companies (especially small caps) in English would be awesome as well.

I've gone through three books start to finish, the Walkers, New Zealand and the JASDAQ portion of the Japan Company Book. In all cases the investments from those sources have been excellent. In writing this post I'm wondering why I'm not buying books for all markets....

REALLY interested in the response to this thread.

Hey Oddball-

I know this has come up in another thread...but what do you think of Value Line?  I have come really close to buying the print subscription but am such a cheap ass I haven't bit the bullet just yet. 

Thanks for any comments or suggestions

Buckeye

Hey Oddball-

I know this has come up in another thread...but what do you think of Value Line?  I have come really close to buying the print subscription but am such a cheap ass I haven't bit the bullet just yet. 

Thanks for any comments or suggestions

Buckeye

Buckeye,

I have looked at Value Line maybe twice in my life, so I'm probably not that qualified to give an answer.  I'd say if you find it useful, and you think what you gain from it will improve your investments, then go ahead and purchase.

Where are you from in Ohio?  I grew up in Bay Village (a suburb west of Cleveland), live in Pittsburgh now.

Oddball-

Thanks for the reply.  I do link print materials and I know Value Line has a good history of providing investors wit good information.  (I remember seeing an interview with Schloss where he mentions his copy of Value Line and starts throwing out interesting stock picks.

Also, I am from Columbus, Ohio.  One of my best friends from college (OU in Athens) grew up in Bay Village.  He would have graduated high school around 1995.  Anywhere close to you?

Buckeye

Oddball-

Thanks for the reply.  I do link print materials and I know Value Line has a good history of providing investors wit good information.  (I remember seeing an interview with Schloss where he mentions his copy of Value Line and starts throwing out interesting stock picks.

Also, I am from Columbus, Ohio.  One of my best friends from college (OU in Athens) grew up in Bay Village.  He would have graduated high school around 1995.  Anywhere close to you?

Buckeye

I graduated in 1999, so I was a year short, he graduated in June of 95 and I started HS in August of 95..  OU...I went to Miami..

Hey all:

I can heartily endorse Value Line.  I've used it for years and find it to be a great resource, especially if you want to look for historical data.

I have suggestions for those of you wishing to save money.

A). Value Line will run specials from time to time, you can really save a lot of money if you time it right.

B). Most libraries have the basic edition

C). I find my Iphone takes high enough resolution photos so that you no longer need a photo copier

Hey all:

I can heartily endorse Value Line.  I've used it for years and find it to be a great resource, especially if you want to look for historical data.

I have suggestions for those of you wishing to save money.

A). Value Line will run specials from time to time, you can really save a lot of money if you time it right.

B). Most libraries have the basic edition

C). I find my Iphone takes high enough resolution photos so that you no longer need a photo copier

x2. Valueline is terrific, always a fun way to spend a weekend going through the latest edition. Sadly, my old university caught on that I was still using their database despite not being enrolled for 2 years and cut the cord.  :'(

Guess I'll have to find a new way to access...my local library just uses Mergent products.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

On my flight back from Omaha after the BRK AGM this May I was reading an old edition of Standard & Poor's 500 Guide. Thoroughly enjoyed it, felt great leafing through the pages one by one. Sadly they no longer publish it.

I live in Melbourne (Australia). I like flipping pages one by one and making notes [Microsoft OneNote] on investment ideas, and setting price targets [Google Sheets] rather than using screener. This way I can set prices based on what I'm willing to pay and forget about market movements, which allows rest of the time to be spent on Annual Reports and Industry Reports (IBIS World).

For researching Australian companies I use DatAnalysis Premium. I use a Chrome Plugin to bulk download PDF summaries of ALL companies, and then another program to stitch those PDFs into one big PDF. Then I print them out and flip pages.

I do the same for USA companies using Morningstar. I have subscription to these publications.

I would be keen on ordering ValueLine publication in the future knowing that Charlie Munger, Warren Buffett, and Walter Schloss leafed through it when they ran their partnerships.

I ordered the Japan Company Handbook a few months back. Read about half of it and then lost interest. Found tons of companies selling well below tangible book value, but poor free cash flows. Just couldn't understand the economics. Perfectly good business but poor returns on equity.

I also have subscription GuruFocus. I love the 15 year Financial Statement data available there, but apart from that the website repels me because it tends to complicate things more than necessary with tons of visual clutter screaming at you. They created a 'Stock Report' section on their website at my request a few months back, but it's still more clutter than I need. I've been pushing them to publish a more simplified and informative version rather than the visually grabbing eye candy that it current publishes.

Thanks to oddballstocks for the mention of the New Zealand Investment Yearbook. I've just placed my order for it for some Christmas time reading :)

There are other markets that I would like to study such as Korea, Singapore, China, and certain African countries (that are experience tremendous economic transformation), but I haven't come across publications for any of these markets. GuruFocus does cover these countries, but not in a form that ValueLine does for US companies.

Hope to hear if anybody is probing these markets with any reliable publications.

In Singapore there is a monthly publication called Shares Investment http://www.sharesinv.com/, which can be found in the larger bookshops. If I remember correctly, the Straits Times Index constituents are listed every month together with a (large) selection of mid- and smallcaps. So, you may need a couple of subsequent issues to see all listed companies.

In Malaysia there is a comprehensive Stock Performance Guide Malaysia, published twice a year by Dynaquest: http://www.dynaquest.com.my/index.html