Board Functionality

zarley

First, thanks Sanjeev for coming through with the message board format.  At first glance, it looks great -- simple/functional.  Just a couple questions though. . .

Will uploadable avatars be available?  Freddie Prinz Jr. is awesome, but I might want to use something else.

Are videos postable?  Should be standard by now, but it's not obvious as I type this up that it is possible.

Maybe this thread could be a repository for board function Q&A?

zarley

Hi Zarley,

I didn't think anyone would want to use avatars, but I guess alot of people might.  I'll turn on that function so that you can also upload anything you want...just keep it clean guys! 

You can upload videos, etc.  I'm still learning how to do some of that stuff, so keep playing around with it and tell me what you find out.  I'll fiddle with all those features later on once I get the membership stuff done and archive the old posts from the MSN Board.  It's probably a good idea for users to post questions and anything new they've learned on this thread. 

Thanks very much!

Thanks Sanjeev.  I know you have your hands full; your efforts are much appreciated.

I like using avatars.  For me, I get to know posters by their avatar and it can make for a much faster visual filter if I'm looking for a post by a particular person.

Ok, I adjusted my profile time offset, but I'm not sure it changed the servers time.  I believe you can use the "auto-detect" on the profile page to adjust your offset and that should correct things.  Let me know if you guys notice other stuff.  There are just so many options, I'm not sure what has been adjusted and what hasn't!  Cheers!

Let me know if you guys notice other stuff.  There are just so many options, I'm not sure what has been adjusted and what hasn't!  Cheers!

Sanjeev,

This board is going to be Fri**ing awesome!

Great job! The bugs will work themselves out.

We've got to get everyone over here. I'm ready to abandon MSN now.

Cheers!

Flying Arrow,

If you go into your profile, you can input your Instant Messaging ID, be it AOL, Yahoo, etc. Then, on your posts, there is a link where a user can click on to send a IM directly. Same think with e-mail as well. This is an alternitive to messaging within the site. Not sure if it is better or worse, but an alteritive.

[glow=red,2,300]

-Crip[/glow]

Hi Guys,

I had turned that feature off, but I can turn it on.  Just to let members know, you can turn off that feature through your profile page if you don't want others to email you or IM you.  I don't want people to be inundated with spam.  I'll see if I can turn it on, so that only other approved boardmembers can use the feature and that the public cannot access it.

Sanjeev

Hi Guys,

I had turned that feature off, but I can turn it on.  Just to let members know, you can turn off that feature through your profile page if you don't want others to email you or IM you.  I don't want people to be inundated with spam.  I'll see if I can turn it on, so that only other approved boardmembers can use the feature and that the public cannot access it.

Sanjeev

Crip - Thanks. I don't use IM right now so PM's on the site would be useful to me.

Sanjeev - I think it would be worthwhile and yes, it is usually only for members.

Hi KFR,

The vote on one "General Thread" or a number of seperate boards seems to be firmly on the side of one "General Thread."  So adding more boards probably won't fly.  I would suggest if you want to test something, go ahead and then you can delete it afterwards.  Feel free to explore the various tools and features.  Cheers!