Share repurchases & per-share IV

JBird

"A repurchase of, say, 2% of a company's shares at a 25% discount from per-share intrinsic value produces only a ½% gain in that value at most -- and even less if the funds could alternatively have been deployed in value-building moves." - WEB

It appears that Buffett's formula (I could definitely be wrong) is: % of shares outstanding repurchased x % discount from per-share value.

How do we calculate the change in per-share IV due to share repurchases?

Company IV of 20. 5 shares outstanding. Per-share value is 4. Company repurchases 1 share at a 50% discount. What is the change in per-share intrinsic value? What is the change in Company IV? Show your workings!

Seems like in your example the new company IV would be 18.  Shares outstanding would then be 4, and IV/share would be 4.5 for a 12.5% increase in IV/share - which is consistent with the math in your Buffett example.  Seems like just yesterday that we were all doing this math with AIG...

In my example 1/5 of shares outstanding were repurchased (20%) x 50% discount from per-share value

.2 x .5 = .1

The "Buffett formula" says 10% and your math says 12.5%, no?

It might be best not to impute arbitrary formulas to Buffett. :-)

Using globalfinancepartners' math on Buffett's example shows an IV increase of about .51%, I believe. Buffett probably just approximated this to 1/2 percent.

In my example 1/5 of shares outstanding were repurchased (20%) x 50% discount from per-share value

.2 x .5 = .1

Yes, I guess my math was different than your formula.  I'll stick with figuring it out the easy way - count whats left and divide by the new share count.  IV is such an abstract and subjective concept that close enough is close enough in my book.

.2 x .5 = .1

It might be best not to impute arbitrary formulas to Buffett. :-)

Using globalfinancepartners' math on Buffett's example shows an IV increase of about .51%, I believe. Buffett probably just approximated this to 1/2 percent.

"Approximately right is better than precisely wrong." -- W.E.B.

If you purchase 2% of a company's shares outstanding at fair value there is no change in IV because you paid what the shares were worth.

If the shares were repurchased at a 25% discount that would add 1/2% to the total IV [.02 (the # of shares retired) * .25 (the discount to IV) = .005 or 1/2%].

If the shares were repurchased at a 25% discount that would add 1/2% to the total IV [.02 (the # of shares retired) * .25 (the discount to IV) = .005 or 1/2%].

This is a formula that I was merely guessing Buffett used. I wasn't correct. The math happened to work out in that example, but if you check it for other examples it won't work. I'll illustrate:

Company IV of 20.

5 shares outstanding

Per-share value of 4

Repurchase 3 shares at 50% discount ($2)

Company spends a total of 6.

Therefore each of the 5 shares spent 1.2. That's $6/5 shares.

This reduces per share value by 1.2, to 2.8.

There are 5 shares outstanding with 2.8 per-share value.

Now the repurchased shares disappear and the 2 remaining shares absorb the value of the other 3 shares worth 8.4 (3 x $2.8 )

This increases per-share value by 4.2

Per-share value is now 7 (2.8 + 4.2)

The way simpler way of doing that is saying the company IV started at 20. It spent 6 to repurchase 3 shares. So company IV went down 6, to 14. Shares outstanding went from 5 to 2. Therefore new per-share IV is 7. ($14/2 shares). Per-share value increased 75%.

The formula you used there would say the answer is 30%, and I promise that's not the case.