Current valuation multiples for mutual funds

matjone

I sometimes make switches in my retirement accounts based on valuation mutliples for the different fund options.  So far all I've been able to find is multiples based on forward looking data.  Is there any resource out there that provides this info using current data?

Another related question - how do they even compute these ratios, given that most of the reports I've seen for mutual funds don't even list all their holdings? The ones I am looking at list about half of their holdings by name, with the rest listed under "other".

Given the international nature of the fund you are looking at I am not sure earnings is the metric you would want to look at due to accounting differences of what is in the earnings number.  A cash flow multiple may be more helpful.  And I am not sure what the FN in the Morningstar data means (forward looking based upon historical data).

Packer

Yeah, I actually look more at the p/b than anything.  I more or less run my 401k according to the old ben graham rules for defensive investors, or at least as close as I can come to it given the restrictions.  I am really limited on what I can do in the plan, and I could complain about 401k plans and tax rules for several paragraphs, but that is a whole other thread.

Thanks for the link to that site, stahleyp.  I don't know if it will have what I am looking for but it looks like it will be a useful resource nonetheless.