Toronto Hotel

Packer16

Hi Packer,

I don't live in Toronto, but I've been there enough times.  These days, you can find some pretty good bargains in downtown Toronto, and you would have access to shuttles, trains, light-rail, buses, subway, etc. 

My favorite sites to find good hotel deals are www.sidestep.com, www.expedia.com or .ca, or hotwire.com.  With sidestep.com, it will actually search through like 150 other sites looking for the cheapest price. 

There is plenty of variety in hotels, quality, prices and location in downtown Toronto.  I'm sure others can give more ideas.  Cheers!

I live a couple hours from Toronto and always book through www.hotwire.com .  You can usually book a nice 4 star downtown hotel for less than $100 USD/night (including all taxes). 

Hotwire doesn't allow any changes or refunds - once you book you're committed so make sure your plans are firm.  It also doesn't reveal the hotel until after you've paid but if you use the site www.betterbidding.com you can usually figure out in advance what hotel it will be.  What dates are you looking at?  I could have a look and make some suggestions.   

Do not be hesitant to look on brand name websites as many are now providing pay-in-advance discounts to counter the plethora of website search engines like Priceline and others. For example, I recently reserved a room in downtown San Francisco for $99 at a Hilton. However, if you miss your dates, you lose your cash and room.

Cheers

JEast

JEast -

I recently stayed at a Hilton in SanFran near Union Square (got it for about $70/night on Priceline)...

There were two minor issues:

- The property has 3 or 4 towers and we were placed in the oldest one as we "didn't pay full price"

- It's on the edge of one of the worst neighbourhoods I've ever been in (the Tenderloin)

One odd thing I found amusing is that the Glide Church (the beneficiary of the Glide Foundation) is almost directly across the street...

I was staying at the Hilton while the lunch auction was on.

Basically you'll be fine if you turn right coming out of the lobby... Going left at night can be scary.

Yes, I guess that is why am not a big fan of the Priceline types as one never really knows where they are going to stay. For me, I purposely paid the extra $29 to stay away from Union Square so to be closer to China Town and still be in a high quality establishment.

On occasion you get great deals, but then again, you usually get what you pay for.

Cheers

JEast

http://www.thestrathconahotel.com/sneakpreview.html

Packer - I've had a few friends stay here and they always had good comments. The location cannot be beat (right downtown, near the train station/subway/financial district/sports venues/CN Tower)... It's very close to the Royal York (Fairmont), but should be much better priced and the rooms look newly renovated.