Bridge... wait, who plays bridge?

JBird

I took a bridge course with my wife about a year ago and plan to take another when the summer activity schedule lightens up. I really enjoy the game and found it a nice way to enage with people. We have had some challenges finding bridge friends our age (early 40s), but I like playing with the older bridge generation pretty well too. If there are any bridge playing value investors in Denver, give me a shout!

I used to play quite a bit and was a decent player. Remember playing once against Buffett and Sharon Osberg on okbridge (most popular online bridge club at a time) some 15 years ago. They usually would have set games but ocasionally would open a table to anyone. Yes, that's the closest I ever got to Buffett  :)

It's a great game, unfortunately it is slowly dying. Whenever I go to a live bridge tournament, the average age is well over 60, and I am usually one of the youngest players (I am over 40).

I was playing a bit of duplicate, but then moved out of the area and haven't started to play again where I now live.

Just a few days ago, there was a notice for getting a game going nearby.  I am looking forward to playing again.

I used to play quite a bit and was a decent player. Remember playing once against Buffett and Sharon Osberg on okbridge (most popular online bridge club at a time) some 15 years ago. They usually would have set games but ocasionally would open a table to anyone. Yes, that's the closest I ever got to Buffett  :)

I've gotta ask -- did you beat them??  :)

I played Bridge all the time when I was in grad school. We had some marathon sessions and drank a lot so it could get a bit messy. I remember one time a guy got so upset when his partner missed a grand slam he jumped out of his chair and tackled the other guy to the ground.

I played Bridge all the time when I was in grad school. We had some marathon sessions and drank a lot so it could get a bit messy. I remember one time a guy got so upset when his partner missed a grand slam he jumped out of his chair and tackled the other guy to the ground.

I tried to pick up the game a few years ago, and this was the sort of thing that stopped me. I played online and my partners would get pissed at me for missing basic moves. I decided it wasn't worth the hassle and nagging, so I quit playing before too long.

"I tried to pick up the game a few years ago, and this was the sort of thing that stopped me. I played online and my partners would get pissed at me for missing basic moves. I decided it wasn't worth the hassle and nagging, so I quit playing before too long."

Scott, give ACBL a look and see if they have any local games:  http://www.acbl.org

They have a zero tolerance policy

"The ultimate purpose of the Z-T policy is to create a much more pleasant atmosphere in our NABCs. We are attempting to eradicate unacceptable behavior in order to make the game of bridge more enjoyable for all.

The following list are some examples of behavior which will not be tolerated:

Badgering, rudeness, insinuations, intimidation, profanity, threats, or violence.

Negative comments concerning opponents' or partner's play or bidding.

Constant and gratuitous lessons and analyses at the table.

Loud and disruptive arguing with a director's ruling."

• 1 month later...

I play on bridgebase - seshnath is my handle there as well.  I have tried okbridge - didn't like it - poor customer service as well.

I use Bridge Baron to learn - highly recommend that.

Buffett recommended book I have read is Why you lose in bridge? - it is an exercise in inversion - would recommend reading that after you feel comfortable with the game.

I also try to play MABC regional held around the 4th of July.

What have people found to be the best way to learn, preferably online?  I've been interested in learning for years but haven't found an easy way to learn.  Would prefer to learn online first before playing with people in real life.

What have people found to be the best way to learn, preferably online?  I've been interested in learning for years but haven't found an easy way to learn.  Would prefer to learn online first before playing with people in real life.

I find the best thing to do is to look up a SAYC (standard american yellow card) manual online (free) that explains the convention.  Then, try to learn it with patient people, either in person or online.  Most random online people (e.g., on bridgebase) do not allow you the time to figure out your bidding or plays if you are unfamiliar. 

If we're serious about it, we should just get four of us together and do some games together, in a real slow manner, so that everyone can understand how the bidding works.  Playing is pretty typical card stuff, though you have to manage the board a bit.

I'm in my 20s and just started learning how to play in March.  Fun game.

Found a great NYC club with small group lessons (4-8 people) and recently started to play on Bridgebase.  Only played in the robot tournaments but would love to start playing regularly with others at a similar level and share other similar interests.  Handle is chief85.

Can see why Buffett likes the game so much and it got me thinking that perhaps bridge is to investing as poker is to trading.

• 3 months later...

Racemize and I are looking for any boardmembers interested in getting some online bridge games going. Nothing serious-- just for fun. We're not pros by any stretch! If you're interested just PM one us. We're thinking we can join up on Google hangout and then dive into a game.

• 1 month later...

Racemize and I are looking for any boardmembers interested in getting some online bridge games going. Nothing serious-- just for fun. We're not pros by any stretch! If you're interested just PM one us. We're thinking we can join up on Google hangout and then dive into a game.

Would love to join at bridgebase - am seshnath - these days I play infrequently - expecting it to change by jan middle.

I started playing bridge at age 9, I would partner with my dad against my two teenage siblings.

I think the game is great and really improves the thinking. Bridge and chess are the two games that I think have had the most positive impact on teaching me how to think.

I haven't played bridge in many many years. just can't find players.