What are you reading currently?

prunes

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for your cult comment, I still want all the editions to put on my bookshelf.........................just because.  ;D

Looks like we're both afflicted with the same crazy book collecting compulsion.  And when you say all the editions, do you mean both the 2nd and the 6th (since, as you know, the 6th is just the 2nd + fillers)?  A true certified nut-case will have hard copies of both the 2nd and the 6th.

Satchel Paige

This biography might be an interesting counterbalance to Graham's emphasis on examining the historical record.  You probably know Satchel Paige's famous quote "Don't look back; something may be gaining on you."

I spent the better part of 6 months way back in 2009 reading various editions of Security Analysis as I wanted to thoroughly understand and internalize what Ben Graham is saying. To help me with this, I created notes consisting of a concise summary of key points, important examples of each chapter. As a next step, using the notes, I then distilled the core into a three page summary.

This is by far the best education I had in value investing.

I do not have the three page summary available online, but here are my notes of each chapter.

http://vinodp.com/documents/investing/security_analysis_index.html

Vinod

This is tremendous - thanks. 

Which editions did you use, and do you have a preference for any single one?  Do you see yourself re-reading any particular edition in the future, or will you just refer to your notes?  It might be interesting to see how your notes might be revised on a re-reading!

Looks like we're both afflicted with the same crazy book collecting compulsion.  And when you say all the editions, do you mean both the 2nd and the 6th (since, as you know, the 6th is just the 2nd + fillers)?  A true certified nut-case will have hard copies of both the 2nd and the 6th.

This biography might be an interesting counterbalance to Graham's emphasis on examining the historical record.  You probably know Satchel Paige's famous quote "Don't look back; something may be gaining on you."

I think I remember that Satchel Paige said that. I'm sure this book will be full of memorable quotes. I read Buck O'Neil's, I Was Right On Time, which was pretty good overall. He said that Satchel Paige was one of the players who had a girl in every town, sometimes a few. As his friend, Buck had to divert Paige's wife away when she surprised him on a road trip.

I wasn't clear earlier but yes, I have the 6th.

And yes, I would like a hard copy of the 2nd also.  ;D

I also want a copy of The Intelligent Investor before Zweig's "commentary". I find it annoying.

I spent the better part of 6 months way back in 2009 reading various editions of Security Analysis as I wanted to thoroughly understand and internalize what Ben Graham is saying. To help me with this, I created notes consisting of a concise summary of key points, important examples of each chapter. As a next step, using the notes, I then distilled the core into a three page summary.

This is by far the best education I had in value investing.

I do not have the three page summary available online, but here are my notes of each chapter.

http://vinodp.com/documents/investing/security_analysis_index.html

Vinod

This is tremendous - thanks. 

Which editions did you use, and do you have a preference for any single one?  Do you see yourself re-reading any particular edition in the future, or will you just refer to your notes?  It might be interesting to see how your notes might be revised on a re-reading!

2nd and 3rd editions. I liked 2nd edition the best. I briefly went through 1st and 4th. I also read the 6th edition which is based on the 2nd.

I have been primarily been referring to the notes, but would re-read at some point.

Vinod

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm reading Beware of the Pity by Stefan Zweig

How do you like it? I read The World of Yesterday (his memoirs) a few months ago and quite liked it.

It's very good. I think I liked the World of Yesterday more, just because of the perspective he offers, but this one's also great.