BYDDY 19%

FFXDF 9%

KBAL 6%

RP 8%

ROOT 7%

SSPK 6%

SPT 6%

STNE 8%

My largest account outside of a 401K.  Only had three positions above (BYD, Fairfax India, and StoneCo) to start the year.  Sold several larger positions bought in March/April (Wayfair and Capri) way too soon. Also sold a 15% position in Suncor too soon but at a nice gain . Sold a basket of gold miners toward the end of last week and wish I’d kept them. Watched and read quite a bit on ROOT lately.  SSPK and Sprout Media (SPT) seem to be in the right spaces ,  selling digital advertising and software to the cannabis industry and selling a social media management platform to advertisers. Uncomfortable with my current portfolio risk with AIV.  KBAL is a deep value pick and a “flat lining chart” company in an out of favor industry, office furniture. RP is a local Dallas company with superb products although they are sold to apartment owner/developers. Perhaps a near term counterparty risk with this position.  APEX is an idea from here and looks to be a combination of deep value with growth .  News of a big sale in the next few months would move the stock perhaps.  Any thoughts would be appreciated and need to add my sincere appreciation to the many posters here that share their ideas and expertise! -willie

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently sold Chou Associates as it has been a terrible investment over the long term and I will look at deploying the cash during the next sell-off.  Here is an update on my portfolio as last time I forgot to include my ETF from my pension.  Any feedback? 

Atlas: 25.18%

Fairfax: 20.31%

Trisura: 18.32%

CN Rail: 9.72%

Royal Bank: 7.9%

S&P500 ETF: 6.41%

Cash: 4.59%

Blackberry: 3.95%

Wells Fargo: 3.39%

What do you guys think of my portfolio? Any feedback? to give an idea on size of portfolio, it is between $500k - $2m

Atlas - 27.35%

Trisura - 20.10%

Fairfax - 19.71%

CN Rail - 10.22%

Royal Bank - 8.34%

Blackberry - 5.88%

Chou Associates - 4.36%

Wells Fargo - 3.38%

Premier Diversified Holdings - 0.55%

I recently sold Chou Associates as it has been a terrible investment over the long term and I will look at deploying the cash during the next sell-off.  Here is an update on my portfolio as last time I forgot to include my ETF from my pension.  Any feedback? 

What do you guys think of my portfolio? Any feedback? to give an idea on size of portfolio, it is between $500k - $2m

Atlas - 27.35%

Trisura - 20.10%

Fairfax - 19.71%

CN Rail - 10.22%

Royal Bank - 8.34%

Blackberry - 5.88%

Chou Associates - 4.36%

Wells Fargo - 3.38%

25% in something like Atlas is really gutsy, imo, especially since you have more exposure with Fairfax being at  20% is even higher.

Oil & Gas Pipelines (PAGP, OGZPY)    4%

U.S. Dividend Stocks (SCHD)          6%

Timber (ACAZF)                              6%

Emerging Market Bonds (TEI)          6%

Oil & Gas Royalties CRT, DMLP)        8%

Cash                                            15%

Emerging Market Value (FEMS,DEM) 22%

Gold                                              33%

Atlas - 27.35%

Trisura - 20.10%

Fairfax - 19.71%

CN Rail - 10.22%

Royal Bank - 8.34%

Blackberry - 5.88%

Chou Associates - 4.36%

Wells Fargo - 3.38%

Ditto on Chou Ass, but retained some. We also share FFH & RY

I  purchased my stake in BB in low $4's which based on my calculation was below its liquidation value.  I did not expect BB to be a leader but to grow at or near the industry average which will give me a solid overall return.  With the recent alliance and co-development of BB Ivy, this IMO will be John's chen's exit strategy and in 2023 for him to cash out with a sale to Amazon or another large tech. My issue so far has been poor execution which we all can agree is the systemic issue with the company however it looks like they maybe turning a corner this year... Let's wait and see.

Ourkid,  don't mean to be rude but since you asked, why the BB stake. You have exposure via ffh already. Are you that confident in it?

WFC

REDW

ETH.X

DGRO

MFIN

RWIFX

POAGX

PRNHX

SNXFX

TRSAX

PESPX

THRY

WFC Jan 22 $30 calls

WFC Jan 22 $37.5 calls

Doesn't include a good cash position right now. Probably the lightest on individual stocks that I have been in a while.

GPW.PL

AIV

ENT.GB

CTA.ZA

ASPU

DESP

TWTR

WINE.GB

TIGO

BUR.GB

BGCP

BABA

SUM.NZ

215.HK

CLV.AUX

LIC.AUX

OBL.AUX

P34.SG

MCO

YUMC

SIS.CA

BOLSA_A.MX

WB

FB

IAC

GOOG

NKL.CA

UPLD

INS

ITRN

SSPK

JMIA

I would say a lot of positions are just trackers (under 1ish %), JMIA, SSPK, INS, WB, YUMC, 215.HK, TWTR, WINE.GB.  Quite a few are small positions(1-4ish%) : UPLD, NKL, GOOG, BOLSA_A.MX, YUMC, MCO, CLV.AUX, BABA, AIV, ASPU, DESP, TIGO, P35.SG, IAC, ENT.GB.  The rest are largish positions 4-10% with LIC.AUX and OBL.AUX and CTA.ZA being the largest.  Both LIC and CTA basically became large positions because of appreciation which is how I want my large positions to come into being.  ENT.GB was a relatively large position but with the recent buyout news I sold it down because, even though I think there will be a higher bid, I don't really have any expertise in merger arbitrage. 

I have a large number of stocks.  Probably not optimal, but there are a lot of things I like and I don't really like going overweight one stock for risk management purposes.  I would rather overweight similar themes of which I have quite a few.  Thanks to everyone that has suggested ideas, of which I have stolen a good number. 

Excluding SPACS which I think of as a cash account:

35% - Simpson

This has been my majority position for almost a decade. This is the only position I’ll keep regardless of pandemics or word wars.

29% - BYD

Followed Munger with this. Wasn’t expecting the EV frenzy. What does everyone think about their 92B valuation?

Rest:

ADSK - I know very expensive but they have a such a strong competitive advantage. I’ve been complaining they’re too expensive for a decade

DEO - strong brand in the one industry that can’t be disrupted (can it?)

DIS - this is a bet that parents will continue to spend money and will care about their kids in the future

DISCA - Malone convinced me. They have a competitive advantage and are now  following the example of Disney. Reminds me of Autodesk following the example of Adobe.

STNE - following the Berkshire duo with this

TYL - Tyler, Daily Journal competitor. Learned about it from a Munger video. Smallest of my positions. Keep meaning to learn more about it to see if it’s promising

35% - Simpson

This has been my majority position for almost a decade. This is the only position I’ll keep regardless of pandemics or word wars.

29% - BYD

Followed Munger with this. Wasn’t expecting the EV frenzy. What does everyone think about their 92B valuation?

Rest:

ADSK - I know very expensive but they have a such a strong competitive advantage. I’ve been complaining they’re too expensive for a decade

DIS - this is a bet that parents will continue to spend money and will care about their kids in the future

DISCA - Malone convinced me. They have a competitive advantage and are now  following the example of Disney. Reminds me of Autodesk following the example of Adobe.

TYL - Tyler, Daily Journal competitor. Learned about it from a Munger video. Smallest of my positions. Keep meaning to learn more about it to see if it’s promising

I guess you can call your portfolio "50% clone of BRK?"  haha, JK

Haha yes. I like to think of Berkshire as a consultant. Four times a year they pitch me ideas and every once in a while I swing.

35% - Simpson

29% - BYD

Rest:

I guess you can call your portfolio "50% clone of BRK?"  haha, JK

• 4 weeks later...

Cash 36.6%

Gold Bullion 18.5%

-- Ishares Gold ETF (IAU)

Gold Mining Stocks 12.6%

-- VanEck Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX)

-- VanEck Junior Gold Miners ETF (GDXJ)

Everything Else:

Pasona Group (2168 JP) 3.0%

B.P. Marsh & Partners (BPM UK) 2.9%

Grayscale Bitcoin Trust (GBTC) 2.8%

Gazprom ADRs (OGZPY) 2.6%

Hess (HES) 2.5%

Sanwa (3187 JP) 2.4%

Energy Resources of Australia (ERA AU) 2.4%

Oisix Ra Daichi (3182 JP) 2.3%

Cenkos Securities (CNKS UK) 1.9%

Ride On Express Holdings (6082 JP) 1.9%

CareNet (2150 JP) 1.8%

Thalassa Holdings (THAL UK) 1.5%

Alina Holdings (ALNA UK) 1.1%

Gazprom Neft ADRs (GZPFY) 1.1%

Lukoil ADRs (LUKOY) 1.1%

Holdings Under 1%:

Anemoi International (AMOI UK)

Surgutneftegaz ADRs (SGTZY)

I guess I'm way less concentrated than others on here. Oh well. Suits me.

By position size:

VGSH

GDYN

FB

TRRSF

Cash

JD

DAVA

FSV

MKL

AMOT

STNE

PINS

EPAM

CSWI

TIG

ESI

ROP

FTV

DFH

PAGS

GOOG

FRFHF

GDDY

WFC

OLLI

TV

CIGI

TAP

RGLD

WRB

KAR

HEI

XPO

MA

CBOE

KMX

ELLH

ARCO

VNT

ACFN

STDY.CVR

By position size:

VGSH

GDYN

FB

TRRSF

Cash

JD

DAVA

FSV

MKL

AMOT

STNE

PINS

EPAM

CSWI

TIG

ESI

ROP

FTV

DFH

PAGS

GOOG

FRFHF

GDDY

WFC

OLLI

TV

CIGI

TAP

RGLD

WRB

KAR

HEI

XPO

MA

CBOE

KMX

ELLH

ARCO

VNT

ACFN

STDY.CVR

That's a nice list here. I have similar views on diversification, FWIW.

It depends on the account. I manage an account that buys fixed income (PIMIX for those tax advantaged) and long dated options for a group of retirees.

In my personal accounts I hold primarily:

NTSX - 90/60 S&P/Treasuries

LTPZ - 15 yr TIPS

EMB - EM Bonds

EDV - LT Treasuries

VWO - Emerging Markets

BAR/SGOL - Gold

RPAR - Risk parity etf

For individual stocks, I held my nose and bought quite a bit in last March-

GOOG

FB

JPM

WFC

KMI

ATCO

H

BRK-B

V

GS

CGJB, are you familiar with the Japanese recruitment market? I've never understood it, as it seems hardly anyone applies to a job (don't want to get rejected?) and everything is arranged behind the scenes by recruitment companies. Some of these companies are very hands-on and growing quickly, e.g. 2124 was cheap during Covid at 10% FCF yield and 20% growth at 30% ROE. And then there are pure online companies as well, which don't really seem to fit in the culture. I don't think of Japan as a fast growing economy, but seems like the recruitment market is changing perhaps? Are people moving jobs more often maybe? Not sure where this growth for recruitment firms is coming from.

If you know anything about the Japanese recruitment market, I'd appreciate your views. Sorry to hijack the thread. We could move this to another thread if there is much to say.

I'm with you.  These are mine in alphabetical order.  Some of these are very small ~1% positions and even the largest is only 13%.

AAPL

ADI

AMZN

APPN

ATCO

AYRWF

LHSIF

AXON

BAM

BRKB

FB

FSLY

FSRWS

GAN

GOOGL

ISRG

LAACZ

MIDD

MSTR

NIO

NTAP

NVEC

PRDGF

RMRM

SAVE (Jan 2022 $45 calls)

SDGR

SE

SHOP

SWAV

SYTE

TRRSF

TRUP

TTD

UI

WFCF

WMB

CGJB, are you familiar with the Japanese recruitment market? I've never understood it, as it seems hardly anyone applies to a job (don't want to get rejected?) and everything is arranged behind the scenes by recruitment companies. Some of these companies are very hands-on and growing quickly, e.g. 2124 was cheap during Covid at 10% FCF yield and 20% growth at 30% ROE. And then there are pure online companies as well, which don't really seem to fit in the culture. I don't think of Japan as a fast growing economy, but seems like the recruitment market is changing perhaps? Are people moving jobs more often maybe? Not sure where this growth for recruitment firms is coming from.

If you know anything about the Japanese recruitment market, I'd appreciate your views. Sorry to hijack the thread. We could move this to another thread if there is much to say.

Sam,

I actually don't know much about the Japanese recruitment market. I bought Pasona in late 2018. It came to my attention through a couple of investors I respect. It has a 50% stake in a listed company (Benefit One, symbol 2412) that wasn't reflected in its stock price.

Sam,

I actually don't know much about the Japanese recruitment market. I bought Pasona in late 2018. It came to my attention through a couple of investors I respect. It has a 50% stake in a listed company (Benefit One, symbol 2412) that wasn't reflected in its stock price.

Thanks.