What a Value Investor's Desk Looks Like!

Parsad

OK, I was joking with the photos in my previous two posts on this thread. I will be serious and respond to the request.

I have an office at home and at work. (I actually have two offices at work but I spend >95% of my time in one.)

Here I will just post photos of my home office as I go around the room. I'll upload my work-place office later.

HomeOffice1.thumb.jpg.ac4fd0152e2276a2da9dc05e51ab0e5c.jpg

HomeOffice2.thumb.jpg.6df572bcf8dae21ce54f842205034b65.jpg

HomeOffice3.thumb.jpg.3602bbf57417419c812b5268c3c6d8d7.jpg

HomeOffice4.thumb.jpg.b50f2c4079ff7078526e2de18a95496a.jpg

HomeOffice5.thumb.jpg.aa2569f67ee5c9533be09636b13a061d.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to be able to get my hands on annual reports on paper, but most companies here only publish online nowadays. So I do most of my report reading on the computer or on my ipad, which is a less effective way to do deep reading. Printing all that stuff isn't a viable option as far as I'm concerned. Just splashed out on a new chair because my back was killing me. Got it from Ikea, though, so I hope I'll get a value pass on that one.

Here's my office corner (perhaps one day it'll be a corner office instead).

Simply contact Investor Relations and request that a copy be mailed to your address!

Well, I have done so on numerous occasions for US companies and companies from other countries, but I don't think they bother sending stuff abroad. And as I said most domestic ones have a no paper policy, which I think is fair enough, but it doesn't make my life easier :)

OK, I was joking with the photos in my previous two posts on this thread. I will be serious and respond to the request.

I have an office at home and at work. (I actually have two offices at work but I spend >95% of my time in one.)

Here I will just post photos of my home office as I go around the room. I'll upload my work-place office later.

Wow ! it seems we have a pretty similar collection of books, although my online library is much bigger than my physical library. The picture was a little blurry but could make out quite a few-  Schrodinger, Genius, Superfreakonomics, Contact etc. I am Sagan fan too. Found "The signal and the noise" on your desk. Haven't had a chance to read Nate Silver's book yet, but it's on my list. Reading "Wizard: The Life And Times Of Nikola Tesla" and "The Travels of a T-Shirt in the Global Economy" right now. I would like to hear your opinion of Nate Silver's book though.

Btw I think I have the same photonics book ( don't know which edition though). Bought it for a course in grad school quite a while back but never was able to get rid of it, even though I don't work in that area.

Wow ! it seems we have a pretty similar collection of books, although my online library is much bigger than my physical library. The picture was a little blurry but could make out quite a few-  Schrodinger, Genius, Superfreakonomics, Contact etc. I am Sagan fan too. Found "The signal and the noise" on your desk. Haven't had a chance to read Nate Silver's book yet, but it's on my list. Reading "Wizard: The Life And Times Of Nikola Tesla" and "The Travels of a T-Shirt in the Global Economy" right now. I would like to hear your opinion of Nate Silver's book though.

Btw I think I have the same photonics book ( don't know which edition though). Bought it for a course in grad school quite a while back but never was able to get rid of it, even though I don't work in that area.

I haven't read the Nate Silver book yet, just got it. I am taking a road trip to NC in a couple of weeks and will take it with me.

I also have a kindle, which is great for traveling, but I only have about 20 books on it so far. I have run out of physical storage space, so I imagine most of the books I acquire from now on will be electronic.

I'm like Jerry in the movie Conspiracy Theory. I can't go by a book store without stopping in and buying a book. At least I buy a different book each time, instead of just copies of Catcher in the Rye like Jerry did! Of course I occasionally forget I have a book and now I have a second copy!

You guys will like Nate's book if you enjoy thinking about statistics (baseball, politics, stocks are just a few of the focuses). I had originally started following Nate's political blog/commentary in the NYT and saw how right his predictions were during the elections (both mid-term and presidential), so I figured I had to read the book.

I haven't read the Nate Silver book yet, just got it. I am taking a road trip to NC in a couple of weeks and will take it with me.

I also have a kindle, which is great for traveling, but I only have about 20 books on it so far. I have run out of physical storage space, so I imagine most of the books I acquire from now on will be electronic.

I'm like Jerry in the movie Conspiracy Theory. I can't go by a book store without stopping in and buying a book. At least I buy a different book each time, instead of just copies of Catcher in the Rye like Jerry did! Of course I occasionally forget I have a book and now I have a second copy!

Ha! My secret shopping place for books is the used books sale at 2 local libraries. Picked up some really great books for pennies on the dollar e.g. hard cover copy of Snowball for $3 in 'almost new' condition. In fact, I have almost 70-80 investing/finance books and another 20-30 biographies in my physical library that were bought from a library sale.

Have the feeling of going to an all-you-eat buffet when I go there ! Had to put a temporary stop to it after my wife complained that we would need a few more bookshelves if I continued at this pace. I am not sure who donates these books, but I sure would like to send him/her/them a thank you note and a lunch invitation, if I could.

@ Boilermaker & Gio: awesome stuff. Gio: the chairs look a bit uncomfortable. Shouldn't you invest a little bit in an awesome chair? I could be mistaken though :)

Thanks writser!

Yes Gio, you should get a chair like mine!

Hi guys!

I had missed your suggestions till now… sorry! Actually, I don’t like to be seated for long… I know, I am a strange fellow… but the truth is I almost always walk or stand upright while reading!! Sometimes I also lift weights!!  ;D ;D

Probably, that’s why I don’t pay so much attention to how comfortable my chair is!!  ;)

Cheers!

giofranchi

I'm almost reluctant to put this one up, since it will be changing this month.  Nonetheless, here's my desk (I hope I count as a Value Investor!).

Since I started investing, I haven't done much music recording, so I'm selling the whole studio/desk to a friend of mine.  I'll be getting this desk in a month:

http://www.humanscale.com/products/product_detail.cfm?group=float

photo.thumb.JPG.437c9d7a822bbca292ec6006a1ac89ae.JPG

Here's my desk, which consists of two pieces of styrofoam from cooking supplies I got from Amazon. I don't own a chair, so I use a pillow as a substitute. I don't own any other furniture, either - I just sleep on the floor of my apartment.

Make sure not to be a putz and start buying expensive things that you don't need. I know some people have health issues which can justify it, but I am pretty young yet, so I have no reason to. I would recommend that you all consider doing the same.

deskofscott.thumb.jpg.343c286b8eeff2d6b4b93ed0fbd330d7.jpg

Here's my desk, which consists of two pieces of styrofoam from cooking supplies I got from Amazon. I don't own a chair, so I use a pillow as a substitute. I don't own any other furniture, either - I just sleep on the floor of my apartment.

Make sure not to be a putz and start buying expensive things that you don't need. I know some people have health issues which can justify it, but I am pretty young yet, so I have no reason to. I would recommend that you all consider doing the same.

You consider a chair, desk and bed as expensive things you don't need? 

Yes. A desk alone can run over a hundred dollars, and beds can run quite a bit more depending on which style you buy. The floor is included in my lease, at no extra charge.

Yes. A desk alone can run over a hundred dollars, and beds can run quite a bit more depending on which style you buy. The floor is included in my lease, at no extra charge.

I'm all about saving money but that strikes me as extreme.  But more power to you.

I'm all about saving money but that strikes me as extreme.  But more power to you.

Thanks. I live in the Washington DC area, which is pretty expensive, so it is difficult to save a substantial amount of money given that I only make mid-five figures on a pre-tax basis.

Fortunately, I didn't go to school and have no debt to my name, so even despite that I still manage to save about half of my post-tax income. It would be more difficult still if I had dependents, which I do not.

I would like to move back out to Northern California before too long. The rent for a three bedroom house is the same in the town I'm from as it is for a one bedroom apartment here in Alexandria.

I can see that you are single.

I can see that you are single.

You can bet your bottom dollar on that! I have yet to find a single person who is up to my quality standards, though I will admit that the operating leverage of having a partner makes a lot of sense on the condition that you can find a good one. I have not really looked because I am not interested in having sex or spending any money attempting to get the other person to like me. If any of you met me in person, you would figure out pretty quickly that liking me is a pretty big challenge.