Upgrades

Parsad

Hi Folks,

You may notice the occasional disruption in the board, as I am upgrading a number of things with Paul Clerc at Watermelon Webworks.  Please excuse any downtime, as there will be improvements made in the ensuing weeks that will make it worth it.

If the site does go down though, please email me and that way I can get Watermelon Webworks to reboot it right away.  I was at lunch for Alnesh's birthday right now, so I didn't know anything was wrong until I got Buffett Groupie's email.  Thanks very much!

Sanjeev

Ooh, upgrades :)

I'd love to get a list of what the changes are if you have a chance. Thank you, Sanjeev.

Modest changes on the actual message board...more to do with functionality...as well as with the ads.  You won't ever see those textual moving ads on here again.  But the ad positions will be more clear, and I will be able to sell ads to things/events that are related to value investing. 

The big changes will be to the homepage, which is barely a functioning entity right now.  It will be mobile/tablet ready with a live feed of the newest posts from the message board.  There will be a section where I can post stories, and a section where I will have specific event information, combined with a blog of sorts where I can put the occasional article, story or interview. 

Really, just trying to get a more coherent strategy on how the board is set up and works.  After that, we will continue to improve the message board with new features, etc, that you guys may like or desire.  They will always be little changes over time, because alot of what the message board's main purpose is, already exists for users.  It's getting things fine-tuned to make your time spent here easier.

Feel free to start showering me with ideas and improvements you guys want, and what I can incorporate now I will, and the more complicated stuff I will add over time.  Cheers!   

I read the website mostly through an RSS reader. One idea that would be helpful to me is to put the name of the poster on the feed for the post.

The RSS view doesn't seem to show me the author of the post.

Currently I see something like this:

Title: Re: I Worry About "The Shot Heard Around The World"

Source: from Corner of Berkshire and Fairfax

Post.

It would be helpful to see

Author: whomever

Post.

I read the website mostly through an RSS reader. One idea that would be helpful to me is to put the name of the poster on the feed for the post.

The RSS view doesn't seem to show me the author of the post.

Currently I see something like this:

Post.

It would be helpful to see

Author: whomever

Post.

Actually, just use the atom feed, it shows the author and should be compatible with any modern rss feeder. I don't have the URL handy but a quick search on the board should find it.

1. Somehow get the author's name more aligned so it can be detected by Readability, or one of he text cleaning programs that can send to Kindle.

2. Being able to see more posts per page, if not a "single view" option.

Main goal. Be able to send a complete thread (or updated part) to my kindle for reading.

Great board already, just throwing ideas out there!  :)

2. Being able to see more posts per page, if not a "single view" option.

Think you can do this already.  Mouse over "Profile" then select "Summary."  Then mouse over "Modify Profile" and select "Look and Layout."  There will be a bunch of preference options, one of which is to choose up to 50 messages per page.

If possible, perhaps more print options? As it stands, printing will bring up the entire thread. There are times where I would like to print a single post.

I don't know which browser you use, but if it is Firefox get the "Nuke Anything Enhanced" add-on. .  I use this whenever I want to print portions of a page on the web.

It allows you to remove anything from a webpage.  You can click on an object, right click and select "Remove this object", and it will be gone until you hit reload.  What is nice is that if you remove stuff you can then print the page without the stuff you don't want.

To print a single post from this board you could

1) Select the entire post that you want to print

2) Right click and you will see two options: "Remove Selection" and "Remove Everything Else".  Hit Remove Everything Else and you will have just that post in your browser window with everything else gone.

3) Then you can print it as you normally would.

4) After you can hit refresh and the page goes back to normal.

If possible, perhaps more print options? As it stands, printing will bring up the entire thread. There are times where I would like to print a single post.

I don't know which browser you use, but if it is Firefox get the "Nuke Anything Enhanced" add-on. .  I use this whenever I want to print portions of a page on the web.

It allows you to remove anything from a webpage.  You can click on an object, right click and select "Remove this object", and it will be gone until you hit reload.  What is nice is that if you remove stuff you can then print the page without the stuff you don't want.

To print a single post from this board you could

1) Select the entire post that you want to print

2) Right click and you will see two options: "Remove Selection" and "Remove Everything Else".  Hit Remove Everything Else and you will have just that post in your browser window with everything else gone.

3) Then you can print it as you normally would.

4) After you can hit refresh and the page goes back to normal.

Thanks for the tip! I will check if google chrome has something like this.

• 3 weeks later...