Boyle Capital - someone on here??

mhdousa

I was looking at the holdings for the Valley Forge mutual fund which is managed by Brian Boyle of Boyle Capital.  Look at these -- this has got to be someone who reads this board, right?  Right?

MBIA 14%

AIG 13%

SHLD 11%

BAC-WTA 9%

SD 5%

FFH 4%

LUK 3%

BRK.B 3%

JCP 2%

CHK 2%

MSFT 2%

CWGL

I was looking at the holdings for the Valley Forge mutual fund which is managed by Brian Boyle of Boyle Capital.  Look at these -- this has got to be someone who reads this board, right?  Right?

MBIA 14%

AIG 13%

SHLD 11%

BAC-WTA 9%

SD 5%

FFH 4%

LUK 3%

BRK.B 3%

JCP 2%

CHK 2%

MSFT 2%

CWGL

It's basically just Fairholme plus a little Fairfax, he doesn't necessarily size his positions by number of COBAF posts.  :)

But I do see a problem.

VAFGX            1.64%

FAIRX              1.00%

I can't even lie I got one of my best ideas from here *shrugs* Posco being one. The board has helped me learn smaller details and point of views I wouldn't have seen or wasn't thinking about.

Maaaann it wouldn't surprise me if he was taking ideas from on here LOL. It's a small world after all....

MBIA 14%

AIG 13%

SHLD 11%

BAC-WTA 9%

SD 5%

FFH 4%

LUK 3%

BRK.B 3%

JCP 2%

CHK 2%

MSFT 2%

CWGL

It's basically just Fairholme plus a little Fairfax, he doesn't necessarily size his positions by number of COBAF posts.  :)

But I do see a problem.

VAFGX            1.64%

FAIRX              1.00%

You're probably right.  But, now that you mention it, how can we be sure Bruce B doesn't lurk here....

MBIA 14%

AIG 13%

SHLD 11%

BAC-WTA 9%

SD 5%

FFH 4%

LUK 3%

BRK.B 3%

JCP 2%

CHK 2%

MSFT 2%

CWGL

But I do see a problem.

VAFGX            1.64%

FAIRX              1.00%

You're probably right.  But, now that you mention it, how can we be sure Bruce B doesn't lurk here....

I am sure he does, but would never admit it.  I think people want to think that "superstars" don't do things like check out a message board.  He is just a guy sitting in a home office.  He almost certainly checks in from time to time. 

MBIA 14%

AIG 13%

SHLD 11%

BAC-WTA 9%

SD 5%

FFH 4%

LUK 3%

BRK.B 3%

JCP 2%

CHK 2%

MSFT 2%

CWGL

But I do see a problem.

VAFGX            1.64%

FAIRX              1.00%

I am sure he does, but would never admit it.  I think people want to think that "superstars" don't do things like check out a message board.  He is just a guy sitting in a home office.  He almost certainly checks in from time to time.

Interesting.  What do you say, Sanj, any IP addresses from Miami??

MBIA 14%

AIG 13%

SHLD 11%

BAC-WTA 9%

SD 5%

FFH 4%

LUK 3%

BRK.B 3%

JCP 2%

CHK 2%

MSFT 2%

CWGL

But I do see a problem.

VAFGX            1.64%

FAIRX              1.00%

Interesting.  What do you say, Sanj, any IP addresses from Miami??

Of course there are ip addresses from Miami...we have about 14,000 unique views a month, so some are going to be from NYC or Miami.  Have no idea if Bruce visits...but I hope he does!  ;D

We were some of the people who thought he suddenly didn't become an idiot, when much of the world was telling him he was and his friends and brother-in-law were bailing.  I'd definitely be pleased if he did read the board.  Cheers!   

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/2013/05/may-1-2013/

Valley Forge Fund staggers about

For most folks, Valley Forge Fund (VAFGX) is understandably invisible.  It was iconic mostly because it so adamantly rejected the trappings of a normal fund.  It was run since the Nixon Administration by Bernard Klawans, a retired aerospace engineer.  He tended to own just a handful of stocks and cash.  For about 20 years he beat the market then for the next 20 he trailed it.  In the aftermath of the late 90s mania, he went back to modestly beating the market.  He didn’t waste money on marketing or even an 800-number and when someone talked him into having a website, it remained pretty much one page long.

Mr. Klawans passed away on December 22, 2011, at the age of 90.  Craig T. Aronhalt who had co-managed the fund since the beginning of 2009 died on November 3, 2012 of cancer.  Morningstar seems not to have noticed his death: six months after passing away, they continue listing him as manager. It’s not at all clear who is actually running the thing though, frankly, for a fund that’s 25% in cash it’s having an entirely respectable year with a gain of nearly 10% through the end of April.

The more-curious development is the Board’s notice, entitled “Important information about the Fund’s Lack of Investment Adviser”

For the period beginning April 1, 2013 through the date the Fund’s shareholders approve a new investment advisory agreement (estimated to be achieved by May 17, 2013), the Fund will not be managed by an investment adviser or a portfolio manager (the “Interim Period”).  During the Interim Period, the Fund’s portfolio is expected to remain largely unchanged, subject to the ability of the Board of Directors of the Fund to, as it deems appropriate under the circumstances, make such portfolio changes as are consistent with the Fund’s prospectus.  During the Interim Period, the Fund will not be subject to any advisory fees.

Because none of the members of Fund’s Board of Directors has any experience as portfolio managers, management risk will be heightened during the Interim Period, and you may lose money.

How does that work?  The manager died at the beginning of November but the board doesn’t notice until April 1?  If someone was running the portfolio since November, the law requires disclosure of that fact.  I know that Mr. Buffett has threatened to run Berkshire Hathaway for six months after his death, so perhaps … ?

If that is the explanation, it could be a real cost-savings strategy since health care and retirement benefits for the deceased should be pretty minimal.

I'd say he's certainly on here. He's even been interviewed by another one of our brethren MOI - http://boylecapital.com/_uploads/boylecapital/brian-boyle_manual-of-ideas1f8.pdf

http://boylecapital.com/

Why does this link only have the first 4 pages?

It says there are over 100 pages.

I am interested in its Marvel technology idea. :)

I'm guessing that is all he was allowed to post public since it was the interview he gave. I know Einhorn has a pretty large position in MRVL though.