Tombstones - Lawrence Lederman

Kraven

[amazonsearch]Tombstones - A Lawyer's Tales from the Takeover Decades[/amazonsearch]

I recently re-read this book and thought that some on the board might enjoy it.  It's primarly about the start of the modern M&A boom (i.e. 1970s-1980s).  The interesting part about it is that it's told from the perspective of a lawyer on the deals.  Lederman was a partner at Wachtell Lipton which as many know is probably the premier firm in the M&A area.  Lederman had a front seat for many of the big deals in those days and recounts his views.  It's a quick and easy read and gives his background starting off at Cravath in the 1960s and then moving to Wachtell in the mid 1970s. 

I read this book about 20 years ago when it came out and recalled enjoying it at the time.  I liked it just as much this time.  I thought about it when reading The White Sharks of Wall Street about Tom Evans.  Lederman was Evans' lawyer in the Missouri Portland deal and Tombstones was used as the source for much of that discussion.  Interestingly, Lederman was also involved in the Macmillan deal from the 1980s with Evans' son, Ned, which also was discussed in White Sharks.

In any case, this book is long forgotten and probably never known, but it's a good one for those interested in that period and especially since it isn't told from the usual perspective of the bankers or CEO of the company.  The book is out of print, but is cheap used on Amazon.