Value Investor Meetup in Seattle

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

How does October 16th sound for the first meetup date? That gives us about a month to have it on the schedule. I am thinking it would be around 6 or 7pm. I am setting up a way for folks to RSVP.

GrizzlyRock has graciously volunteered to be a speaker for the first meeting. I am looking into recruiting a second speaker. If we have two speaker I would prefer to keep the time slots to 30 minutes each. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks again to compoundinglife for kicking this off.

From past experiences, most people get the most from this type of gatherings when involved & willing put in a touch of prep time (such as reading.  Active discussion benefits everyone.  As such, I'll can either lead a discussion of an equity that many would be interested (perhaps MUSA?) or a topic.  If anyone has suggestions feel free to respond as below.

Weekends will be much harder than weeknights for me.

Ok cool - I'm bringing another guy too so make that 11.  Obv there are multiple ways to run something like this.  Given its first meeting perhaps we could have everyone introduce themselves and give a brief background on what they do / how they look at things.  Potentially also give a snippet of an idea they are working on and why its interesting?  Little casual & little structured has worked the best for me wrt these types of things before

For the more organized discussion what do you guys want to talk about?

(1) Something straight-forward like MUSA?

(2) Something harder like shorting some organic food roll-ups?

(3) Other relatively common company that popular on this board? (EBIX or GVC?)

or (4) perhaps something topical like concentration / Kelly formula etc?

Fannie preferreds are in my "to hard" pile.  Go ask Fairholme ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok cool - I'm bringing another guy too so make that 11.  Obv there are multiple ways to run something like this.  Given its first meeting perhaps we could have everyone introduce themselves and give a brief background on what they do / how they look at things.  Potentially also give a snippet of an idea they are working on and why its interesting?  Little casual & little structured has worked the best for me wrt these types of things before

Grizzly, sounds good to me. Something like a quick intro session where folks introduce themselves and any ideas they may have. We can keep a list of those on the whiteboard and maybe follow up with discussion on those topics after your talk.

I would love to hear/talk about GVC, I have been following the thread a little but have not dug in on it. Also kelly criterion sounds good too.