Interviews with Combs and Weschler in Omaha World Herald published book

kiwing100

Thanks. The more we hear from those guys, the more confident I am with Berkshire future.

Sanjeev, you should invite some people from Berkshire at your annual party! Probably those guys would be terrific assets to the event..after all, this is called the Corner of Berkshire and Fairrfax!

Guest longinvestor

When they say read 500 pages a day of material, that's an exaggeration right? He means skim for the most part right? No way in hell I can ever see myself being able to read that much in a day!

Although I have not kept count, it is very likely I've read 500 on a few occasions in my life. Like for a test where I was shit scared of abject failure.

It would be interesting to hear how much of their daily reading are the "numbers type" versus "opinion type" (books on life, human behavior etc.)

I can easily see them reading that many pages with numbers but not opinion of others about the numbers. I've watched from close up co execs reading 100's of pages with numbers and get the "cream" out of it. If you read the same kind of report day in and out, the pattern of how numbers are reported help drive (speed) reading behavior.

And of course if you get trained by WEB to put aside the "too hard" stuff, it leaves you with just the stuff you need to read. Hey, $50 million year will motivate me to read 500 pages a day as well :P

Guest wellmont

When they say read 500 pages a day of material, that's an exaggeration right? He means skim for the most part right? No way in hell I can ever see myself being able to read that much in a day!

i feel like a slacker today  :)

no skimming- actual reading. that's why they made $50m each last year and you maybe slightly less. :)

no skimming- actual reading. that's why they made $50m each last year and you maybe slightly less. :)

i read 10% of todd combs and make .000000001% of what he made ! not fair :)

There's skimming involved. If you're reading through data / sections of wording that doesn't seem as relevant, you should skim past it. Huge time saver.

Reading is an art, not a read-every-word science.

With regards to reading. There is a good chapter in "Investing: The Last Liberal Art" that talks about how to read effectively and also suggests the book "How to Read a Book". I have yet to read "How to Read a Book", but its on my list. The focus is not to read faster/more but how to filter out the cruft and spend more time doing in depth focused reading of the things that matter. Very interesting stuff.

Guest wellmont

i read 10% of todd combs and make .000000001% of what he made ! not fair :)

life isn't fair! may you someday make 10% of what todd and ted make! :)

I like to read a lot of articles and I also drive a lot. I'm trying to combine the two safely.

Is there a phone application that reads websites / online articles out loud? Kind of like my own personal radio station for articles.

I like to read a lot of articles and I also drive a lot. I'm trying to combine the two safely.

Is there a phone application that reads websites / online articles out loud? Kind of like my own personal radio station for articles.

On the iphone, there are a couple of ways to do this.

[*]Use Voice Over in the Accessibility settings. Best way to do this is to assign a home button triple click to turning Voice Over on. Then when you want some text read to you, triple click, and tap on the text. Then triple click again when you're done to turn Voice Over off.

[*]Turn on Speak Selection in Accessibility settings. Then when you manually select text you want spoken aloud, there should be a pop-up that says "Speak." Tap that, and the text will be read to you.

Personally, I prefer option 2 because you can easily scroll the text while it is being spoken and because you can have it highlight the words as it reads them.

This app seems to be getting good reviews. Haven't tried it, yet.

http://soundgecko.com/learn

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/soundgecko/id541781633?ls=1&mt=8

Update:  Okay, I just tried SoundGecko. It works pretty well. I have it pointed at my Pocket RSS feed, so any articles I save to Pocket automatically get saved into SoundGecko, as well. You can also email it links to individual articles or use a Chrome extension to save an article. The text-to-speech engine is fairly good. BTW, SoundGecko has an app for Android,  it can save the audio files for your articles to Dropbox or Google Drive, and it even generates a podcast feed that you can add to your podcast player of choice; all of these listening options makes it completely cross-platform.

So between the iOS-specific options and SoundGecko, I think you should be able to find something that suits your needs.

• 3 months later...

I talked to Francis Chou and he said he reads over 300 pages a day.

Did you ask him how he does it? Practice or technique?

It's possible through the Dynamic Reading Process to read as fast as one can turn or swipe the page with excellent comprehension.  :)

It's possible through the Dynamic Reading Process to read as fast as one can turn or swipe the page with excellent comprehension.  :)

Have you tried this method?  Can you point me to a link or something about how to learn how to do this?