What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

I added to BX at below $85. Been planning to hold off until the BAM spinoff to add to the asset manager, but thinking about adding a big slug near $40. Right now all the alts are looking good, even the ones that are usually too expensive to look at (e.g. BX, ARES, OWL)

Edited by RedLion

Big add to BAM, first add in a couple years on this position, but ended up increasing my total position size by ~30%. I ended up buying at $40.84. 

Also added APO call options at $42 expiring Jan 23. This pretty much doubles my notional exposure including some $47.50 call options I already have, depending on how the stock does over the next few months I may try to sell my APO shares for a short term loss but still be able to exercise the options at $42 before they expire and keep roughly the same exposure. Obviously I'm opening myself to losing even more money if the stock keeps going down hard with the market in the short term, so maybe this was a stupid idea, but I have a lot of short term gains from hedging, and I want to harvest some of these APO short term losses, but still remain bullish. 

Edited by RedLion

ALCO at the end of trading. I suspect I’ll be buying more in the coming days. That said, with the fed draining the liquidity pond through the acceleration of bond sales to reverse quantitative easing, I suspect there will be a lot of interesting options over the next month or two. Either way, land rarely loses value over multi year periods, so even if they lose a significant amount of this year’s orange crop there is sustaining land value at the current quote. 

Edited by KPO

10 hours ago, RedLion said:

Big add to BAM, first add in a couple years on this position, but ended up increasing my total position size by ~30%. I ended up buying at $40.84. 

I also added to BAM today as well. There is a point I will be forced to double my position and with the price dropping that point is getting closer day by day. I wish ATCO would trade near its offer price so I can swap out of atco into BAM!!! 

Edited by ourkid8

26 minutes ago, tooskinneejs said:

The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company.  It's at a price not seen since 2013.

VF Corp is also looking cheap.

What's the thesis on this? Balance sheet doesn't look good, Sales down 60% Cashflow going negative? Is the divy sustainable? Seems like it could drop a lot more. 

58 minutes ago, Castanza said:

What's the thesis on this? Balance sheet doesn't look good, Sales down 60% Cashflow going negative? Is the divy sustainable? Seems like it could drop a lot more. 

I'm a lawn freak and used to use Scotts products but switched to WalMart's Expert Gardener brand quite a few years ago.

I battled weeds for a long time using Scotts Bonus S Southern Weed and Feed with virtually no effect on weeds, and yes I do follow the directions on the bag. Now I use the Expert Gardener fertilizer product(s) + 4 to 6 week applications of Spectracide Weed Stop for lawns with a hose end sprayer and the results are significantly better than Scotts.

The war on weeds is never ending and you gotta use the right weapons.

My lawn is green and lush at half the price.

---

edit: that reminds me, I'm buying winterizer today.

Edited by DooDiligence

5 minutes ago, DooDiligence said:

I'm a lawn freak and used to use Scotts products but switched to WalMart's Expert Gardener brand quite a few years ago.

I battled weeds for a long time using Scotts Bonus S Southern Weed and Feed with virtually no effect on weeds, and yes I do follow the directions on the bag. Now I use the Expert Gardener fertilizer product(s) + 4 to 6 week applications of Spectracide Weed Stop for lawns with a hose end sprayer and the results are significantly better than Scotts.

The war on weeds is never ending and you gotta use the right weapons.

My lawn is green and lush at half the price.

---

edit: that reminds me, I'm buying winterizer today.

From what I’ve seen with lawncare is the cottage industry really taking off. If you look on Forums, Reddit, YouTube etc. There is a big moving away from the big brands and more into specialized products/stuff promoted by individuals. 

Probably doesn’t capture the whole market though and tbh I’m not even sure the breakdown for SMG between consummer/commercial. I didn’t get past the balance sheet and outlook 

7 minutes ago, Castanza said:

From what I’ve seen with lawncare is the cottage industry really taking off. If you look on Forums, Reddit, YouTube etc. There is a big moving away from the big brands and more into specialized products/stuff promoted by individuals. 

Probably doesn’t capture the whole market though and tbh I’m not even sure the breakdown for SMG between consummer/commercial. I didn’t get past the balance sheet and outlook 

Same, re: the balance sheet and personal experience with their products.

4 minutes ago, Spekulatius said:

dimethylamine salt does the job for sure