What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

39 minutes ago, Parsad said:

See Judge break Ruth's record?  Will it be tonight?  Cheers!

What Judge has done should be admired by everyone, sports fan or not. No, not having a historic season, it’s what he did before the season. Counter party is the wealthiest and most influential sports franchise on the planet. He…bought puts and went to cash in his personal account on everything he owned for his investors….just kidding.

When it was all on the line he bet big on himself. He ll probably get double that pathetic offer the Yanks made this preseason.

20 minutes ago, yesman182 said:

@Gregmal What is your take on LPX. Are you long home builders and think OSB is a way to play that? Or do you like the siding business? I own LPX for the siding business. LPX has been supply constrained for years. I think the siding business will take market share from Hardie Plank and Vinyl.

Both. Fed hasn’t solved the housing crisis they’ve just made it worse and prolonged it. Shit will still need to be built. Also like what LPX is doing on the allocation side.

7 minutes ago, CharlesMunger said:

Nice. Yes thought its maybe not the best but compared to last year not the worst time to buy. Which grades are you typically going for? 

Like the 8s for both Topps and OPC. 9 is great but I’d rather own a handful of 8s vs one or two 9. 7s on OPC ok too. Would not go below 8 on the Topps.

6 hours ago, Gregmal said:

Like the 8s for both Topps and OPC. 9 is great but I’d rather own a handful of 8s vs one or two 9. 7s on OPC ok too. Would not go below 8 on the Topps.

Out of curiosity where are you guys purchasing? I like the diversification of assets but sports memorabilia makes me a little skeptical sometimes even with certificates etc. there was a documentary a while back that I watched regarding forgeries. They had infiltrated the markets and almost impossible to tell. Holographic stickers, pictures, certificates, grading etc didn’t matter it can all be reproduced. I remember asking a close friend who owned a card shop if it was true and he said it was, and that he had encountered some examples over the years as there are many in the industry that are a bit “shady”. Just didn’t give me a warm fuzzy. How would a guy know? And maybe it doesn’t matter anyway, as perhaps you’re selling the certificate and it doesn’t have to be real, the next buyer just has to believe it is. That scares me. 

Not saying you fellas are buying fugazi’s but they’re out there. Also might not help my opinion when they guy I knew who owned a card/pro shop wasn’t the most trustworthy guy I know either. Not saying he’s selling fakes, but I’m also not 100% sure he wouldn’t be tempted to pass something along for a big payout. 

Also I guess I compare to other art, if they can reproduce oil paintings that pass X-ray inspection and dating etc seems like it would be nothing to pound out a ton of cardboard cards, and supporting documents. 

https://sportscollectorsdigest.com/.amp/news/fraud-forgery-fake-sports-memorabilia-cards-collectibles-fbi

Just my personal feeling, I’d love to have a couple in the collection, but I don’t know that I’d feel comfortable enough to drop 5 figures on a card unless I was buying from a reputable auction house with documentation or something, eBay sellers set off some alarms in my head for some reason and I don’t know that even a small local shop would make me comfortable enough to pay “real” money for memorabilia. 

3 hours ago, Blugolds11 said:

Out of curiosity where are you guys purchasing? I like the diversification of assets but sports memorabilia makes me a little skeptical sometimes even with certificates etc. there was a documentary a while back that I watched regarding forgeries. They had infiltrated the markets and almost impossible to tell. Holographic stickers, pictures, certificates, grading etc didn’t matter it can all be reproduced. I remember asking a close friend who owned a card shop if it was true and he said it was, and that he had encountered some examples over the years as there are many in the industry that are a bit “shady”. Just didn’t give me a warm fuzzy. How would a guy know? And maybe it doesn’t matter anyway, as perhaps you’re selling the certificate and it doesn’t have to be real, the next buyer just has to believe it is. That scares me. 

Not saying you fellas are buying fugazi’s but they’re out there. Also might not help my opinion when they guy I knew who owned a card/pro shop wasn’t the most trustworthy guy I know either. Not saying he’s selling fakes, but I’m also not 100% sure he wouldn’t be tempted to pass something along for a big payout. 

Also I guess I compare to other art, if they can reproduce oil paintings that pass X-ray inspection and dating etc seems like it would be nothing to pound out a ton of cardboard cards, and supporting documents. 

https://sportscollectorsdigest.com/.amp/news/fraud-forgery-fake-sports-memorabilia-cards-collectibles-fbi

Just my personal feeling, I’d love to have a couple in the collection, but I don’t know that I’d feel comfortable enough to drop 5 figures on a card unless I was buying from a reputable auction house with documentation or something, eBay sellers set off some alarms in my head for some reason and I don’t know that even a small local shop would make me comfortable enough to pay “real” money for memorabilia. 

Yea I’ve seen all that and those stories come and go now for the 25 plus years I’ve followed sports memorabilia. Only buy PSA graded and generally just stick to EBay. PWCC is legit but shill bids a lot so you’ll get a real card but over pay often. They were booted from eBay over this last year. Keep your cards in a safety deposit box at the bank. 

Not to take this thread too far off topic, but the downside on Atco if the non-firm deal gets pulled is probably pretty significant at this point. Given the change in markets since the deal was announced it probably drops further than the pre-deal price. I think this is the last bump, and Atco shareholders should probably take it and re-invest. 

56 minutes ago, bizaro86 said:

Not to take this thread too far off topic, but the downside on Atco if the non-firm deal gets pulled is probably pretty significant at this point. Given the change in markets since the deal was announced it probably drops further than the pre-deal price. I think this is the last bump, and Atco shareholders should probably take it and re-invest. 

Yeah that's certainly a possibility and was my thought when I first sold the shares. Time will tell, but either way If you have a 5+ year time horizon buying now at 14 is not a bad price.