What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

Part of my skepticism on big tech stuff the past 6 months has been the lose lose situation they’re in politically. Which you’re starting to see big time now. Whether it’s something as big as Activision, as small as this $400m app FB wants, or something totally negligible and unrelated to your core business like the AMZN $4b med company deal….they’re getting major pushback. Acquisitions have been huge boosts to big tech. And that’s over now. 

9 hours ago, Sweet said:

I also think META needs a new CEO, but I can’t recall a big mistake yet, I think the ‘metaverse’ will become a big mistake.

What are the other big mistakes he has made in your opinion.

I like philosophical questions... He destroyed the Facebook brand. Hence the rebrand to Meta. Their websites and apps Zuck from a UX point of view. I don't think the organization can build new products so he should just buy something. The government doesn't like Meta:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurkee/2022/07/27/ftc-sues-meta-to-block-acquisition-of-vr-company-within/

He should do something about that. Maybe resign. Not that any of this matters. FCF after SBC etc matters. Zuck is doing quite well there but getting worse.

@formthirteenagree with all of that.  I think they should focus on acquisitions rather than trying to innovate themselves.  I think Metaverse is going to be a huge waste of money.  

Better would be to have an acquisition team who buys up the best companies.  They bought Instagram for a billion - what a purchase that was.

Kind of feel like the Zuck just needs to sit tight and keep HIS nose clean for a while - TikTok is one, maybe two more spy/teenage suicides away from getting turfed out of the USA with the EU following big daddys lead. Maybe it getting sold again to MSFT or Oracle could happen but if ChiMerica relations deteriorate further a straight up ban could be politically expedient for everybody in DC & the K street army. META would rally 50% that morning.

Zuckerburg might be rascal but he's OUR rascal & whats worse than Mark Zuckerburg?......a Chinese Mark Zuckerburg you cant see, who drinks tea with Xi and you cant beat the shit out of him/her on TV at a Congressional committee.

FFH. Down 5% on the day. Downgrades post Q2 results? RBC did lower their price target on Friday by US$25 to US$725.

FFH is almost back down to US$500. Hopefully it continues lower. Will we see US$450 in Q3 as some on this board have speculated might happen (as the hurricanes start showing up)? Gotta love Mr Market. FFH is becoming the gift that keeps on giving.

—————

RBC: Our view: Underwriting results continue to hit the marks and top-line growth has been strong driving improved underwriting profits and cash flows. Traditional net investment income continues to rise as assets are deployed to higher yields further supporting earnings growth. Several transactions are in the pipeline which upon closing could add about 10% to book value on top of ordinary earnings. We view FFH shares as a best-in-class value opportunity at about 0.85x book value. There are lots of things going 'right' and we don't see this as being reflected in valuation.

Edited by Viking

On 7/11/2022 at 2:03 PM, Gregmal said:

Been a position I’ve slowly been initiating and building into the sell off. Main thesis is that LYFT and yellow taxis aren’t a real threat, at worst duopoly like market dynamics, increasing pricing power. Gig economy benefactor(even though driving doesn’t seem economic people still do it because they want to work on their own terms), free upside on the delivery business. You can tinker with the numbers but should start generating substantial FCF over the next few years. 

For those that were interested in UBER a few weeks ago todays release somewhat validates the thesis. I added a smidge more at the open. 

13 minutes ago, Gregmal said:

For those that were interested in UBER a few weeks ago todays release somewhat validates the thesis. I added a smidge more at the open. 

just the fact that Dara, a Barry Diller protege, and 10-year veteran of Expedia is in charge that is a +ve. 

they are even talking about capital return back in Q1 investor day. 

1 hour ago, Santayana said:

FRFHF - Seems like a gift of a quick 5%. 

Yeah, I topped up my long term position at C$671, and when it dropped even further I got annoyed and entered a little trading position at $649.xx, that I just sold at $674. I don't usually day trade like this, but it seemed a good setup. Better lucky than smart I guess.

2 hours ago, Gregmal said:

adding to Nintendo 

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/20-years-nintendo-console-switch-sales/

This chart always stuck with me. Feel like you can lay the stock price on top of it. Then it just feels like a bet on console sales. Switch feels pretty saturated. I know they've got great IP which is hard to argue with.

What's got you buying it?

28 minutes ago, spartansaver said:

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/20-years-nintendo-console-switch-sales/

This chart always stuck with me. Feel like you can lay the stock price on top of it. Then it just feels like a bet on console sales. Switch feels pretty saturated. I know they've got great IP which is hard to argue with.

What's got you buying it?

It’s above average or better in a number of areas I expect to do well and is fairly cheap with trophy quality IP. Be long eyeballs on screens.

3 minutes ago, matthew2129 said:

More NVR.  Looks like the just authorized an extra $500M to their buyback program: 

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nvr-inc-announces-share-repurchase-authorization-301599264.html

Weird that they released this in the middle of the trading day. I wonder if they meant to release at 1pm Pacific instead of ET?

Nah they just DGAF about the standard operating procedure. Love how those guys roll.