What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

4 minutes ago, RedLion said:

Do you buy the calls on the futures, or are you using an ETF? 

futures. this week basically has it all. so with a 23 VIX I think its a good hedge with lots of potential torque. Even back to 30 is several x. 

On 7/15/2022 at 10:47 AM, ourkid8 said:

Look... (As Bruce Flatt says before every statement)

1. Significant amount of capital waiting to be deployed. The current market environment provides management an opportunity to take advantage of market dislocation. Here is one large acquisition they just announced today: https://www.reuters.com/business/deutsche-telekom-announces-175-bln-euro-sale-tower-business-2022-07-14/
2. Uses 25-30% of it's own capital to invest alongside clients to ensure interests are aligned.  This gives me some comfort they will be cautious to not overpay for acquisitions
3. Real estate: High quality spaces are highly sought after and rents are up ~30% pre-pandemic
4. Superstar management team with a goal to compound at 20% going forward
5. Macro view on inflation: When there is inflation, revenue increase greater than expenses and more drops to the bottom line and over time it compounds. Inflation is very positive for real assets. 

I can keep on going but BAM is a undervalued high quality company who owns core backbone infrastructure which can compound at high rates for decades.  Its my favourite type of business to own.   btw: I just added to my position earlier in the morning.  

This is such a great summary of your thesis. Glad you did not go the valuation route as it is really hard to do so. Well for me. Also bought more last week!

On 6/9/2022 at 4:42 AM, Blugolds11 said:

Sold BRK puts <300, 9 days out…bid wasn’t super sexy but its easy money and the volume sold was enough to make it enticing. Heads/tails I win as I’m sitting on a ton of cash from a recent home sale and would like to put it to work in some capacity. I’ll likely keep doing this until I get assigned over the next couple weeks/months. 

On 6/9/2022 at 2:03 PM, backtothebeach said:

Don’t jinx it by saying ‘easy money’ lol.

Selling 200 strike puts on March 4, 2020 was easy money, too - five months later.

BRKB back at $300, only 7 weeks later. Low price was $263.71.

8 hours ago, RedLion said:

Presumably meta. I’m short $170 puts that expire today, still showing as short in my Schwab acct. 

I have some $155 ones expiring a bit later that have been exciting to follow. I'm less excited about META now that Zuck has proven that he makes big mistakes. Due to confirmation bias I thought he was not human but he has made many stupid mistakes in hindsight. He's a family man now so he has other priorities. The government is also trying to prevent META from practicing capitalism and buying smaller companies. META needs a new CEO.  

On 7/29/2022 at 9:52 AM, backtothebeach said:

BRKB back at $300, only 7 weeks later. Low price was $263.71.

I actually got assigned quite a few of those I mentioned over the last couple months…hindsight is again, I should have been more aggressive..but at the time I thought/hoped it would continue to go lower. They weren’t all assigned obviously..but I’m glad some were. 

12 hours ago, formthirteen said:

I have some $155 ones expiring a bit later that have been exciting to follow. I'm less excited about META now that Zuck has proven that he makes big mistakes. Due to confirmation bias I thought he was not human but he has made many stupid mistakes in hindsight. He's a family man now so he has other priorities. The government is also trying to prevent META from practicing capitalism and buying smaller companies. META needs a new CEO.  

I also think META needs a new CEO, but I can’t recall a big mistake yet, I think the ‘metaverse’ will become a big mistake.

What are the other big mistakes he has made in your opinion.