What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

2 hours ago, bathtime said:

WISH. Everyone seems to dislike this company except for some of the WSB herd. I still can’t understand why Jackie Reses, who was brilliant at Square, would join full time. She could have had any job she wanted. Any job. And she took a comp package that has $20-$30+ on the shares for payout. Is the goal to shape up the business and sell? Revamp strategy? You know she has a plan. 

I think the plan is "help the nerd monetize the data and two-sided network" as was the case with Google and Facebook.

Could also be related to "In October 2015, Reses joined Square, Inc. to head Square Capital, the company’s start-up small-business lending program.":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacqueline_Reses

I might buy this shitco back at some point, but it is difficult to have buy-and-hold conviction in these types of companies.

19 minutes ago, formthirteen said:

I think the plan is "help the nerd monetize the data and two-sided network" as was the case with Google and Facebook.

Ha.

The fanboys think she’s going to make it a fintech, by moving into payments. But she threw cold water on that in a Tweet response and said it was an e-commerce company not a fintech.

There was a time when everyone hated SNAP’s business prospects. So I’m wondering if WISH can pull off a transformation. Plenty of cash and they’re pulling way back on ad spend. Which is probably Reses’ counsel. New CFO is next move. If GME can moon from just ex Amazon hires. Maybe WISH can do a similar but less dramatic org shift. 

1 hour ago, fareastwarriors said:

the @Gregmal etf ? 😆 

Haha yea throw in ALCO and you're pretty much there. Whats amazing to me is the similarities which support the market dislocation aspect. In general, as an investor I have trouble trusting others to create value. So sure, Buffett has earned it, but generally, I just prefer investing in the discount to NAV stuff because not only does something have to go wrong for you to get bruised, but you also need no growth in addition to the negligence or value destruction. Whats crazy to me is if you look at APTS, CLPR, AIV...you have so many different things cruising in your favor. You have the SAFEST(make a joke about Flatbush Gardens, go ahead) sub-asset class one can buy as far as real estate goes...MF rental. But then you also have best in class assets in many cases or highly desirable luxury facilities in booming markets. You also have these stress tested; you just saw covid and how the worst case scenario looks, but to boot, you're buying a discount to a NAV that is predicated in many cases, still, on those covid infested NAVs when unbelievably, you have gotten rip roaring rental growth everywhere with only parts of it reflected due to the rolls. So to me its seems like(and has been now since November, a total gift to be able to buy these things still close to the covid lows(APTS for instance is a $5B+ asset with ease and the equity implies only a mid single digit % valuation improvement; CLPR like maybe 10%, and AIV who knows but in that case thats the point) AND trading significantly off of current mark to market, let alone  where they should go as rents keep soaring and rates stay low. But who knows, maybe these will be the end of me....will be fun either way. 

1 hour ago, CorpRaider said:

BRK, CMCSA, SMG

SMG (Scott's Miracle grow) looks interesting, but why is it down so much? Looks sort of like $SAM.

Solid grower (pun) with a decent brand name. it doesn't look to expensive to me either. For a while, it traded as a stealth play on weed (another pun).

I need to do more work, but like what i see so far. Thanks for posting.

@Spekulatius

I will start a thread.  I issued a few tweets about it as I was looking at proxy and calls and stuff.  I was going to do a blog post about it at some point, but man who knows if/when that will happen.  Kind of a "buy and homework" position for me too, but I'm getting kind of bulled up on it.  Hard to tell why the market do what it do but, consensus has revs down in '22 sequentially (after huge covid lawn and gardening boom) and EBITDA and earnings down a bit more as result of inflation in inputs (kind of like the other CPGs).  Also, weed is less bubbly.

Edited by CorpRaider

BABA because I've succumbed to the Gamblers fallacy with a tiny dash of imaginary insurance via halo effect.

IOW, I know I'm gambling on a possible short term reversal that someone smarter than me has long term faith in.

I'll likely be disappointed.

Edited by DooDiligence