What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

After browsing the results of a Google search "Tyler Technologies problems", I have to add chronic integration issues & going live before the system has been thoroughly tested, as a problem. Probably not unique to the industry.

Edited by DooDiligence

Thanks for this great idea Wabuffo - and explanation on DISCK vs A/B - sold at the open.

Interesting.  I had sold half my position in DISCK when it hit $65, then bought it back in a tax-deferred account at $30-$31 after the Archegos blow-up thinking it was a trading sardine.   But I'm going to hold now.   Malone and his managers have a great track record maximizing very large, underperforming assets they acquire from smaller base businesses (CHTR + TWC cable).  There's a lot of pro-forma cash flow here to play with in the combined HBO/Turner/Discovery/HGTV media assets.  I was less enthused about Discovery by itself but am more enthused about the combination.

Plus - Discovery is collapsing its multiple-class share structure into a single class after the merger, so owning the K-class, I think one gets an additional scoop of return via the arb to the single class.

wabuffo

Edited by wabuffo

Nearly tripled my position in ALCO over the past few days. What do you do when you have maybe 10-15% potential drawdown risk and 10-100% highly probable, eventual upside? Especially with a hard asset play where drawdowns will just be temporary and simply add to the upside? Swing big. Worst scenario IMO is it continues to be dead money and pays you 72c a share(which they're about to start ramping). Cash is trash.

KNBE - recent IPO that I learned about in the MF Industryfocus podcast. Cybersecurity play that focuses on Training.  Seemed like a timely pick after thr Colonial pipeline disaster that sure must have raised the visibility about fishing attack risks. The stock tanked after earnings and I am not quite sure why. Earnings and CC seemed fine to me.

Interfor (iFP.TO). Lumber companies are raining cash. Will pay a $2 special dividend (with likely more to come). Supply / demand imbalance could remain in place for years (BC is not able to ramp production like it historically has dues to mountain pine beetle - in fact it will be reducing production in the coming years). The US South will become the new swing producing region but it will take years for new mills to open. Bottom line, if lumber prices stay above $1,000 for SPF into 2022 all lumber producers are going to earn obscene amounts on money. Time to do a deeper dive this weekend...

2 hours ago, Viking said:

Interfor (iFP.TO). Lumber companies are raining cash. Will pay a $2 special dividend (with likely more to come). Supply / demand imbalance could remain in place for years (BC is not able to ramp production like it historically has dues to mountain pine beetle - in fact it will be reducing production in the coming years). The US South will become the new swing producing region but it will take years for new mills to open. Bottom line, if lumber prices stay above $1,000 for SPF into 2022 all lumber producers are going to earn obscene amounts on money. Time to do a deeper dive this weekend...

Have you looked at ICLTF?