What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

Bought a tiny, 100% speculative XRP position before the trading suspension. Dont give 2 hoots about XRP but I think I am comfortable with my understanding of how SEC related issues get resolved and and while there is always the risk its wiped out or never trades again on a mainstream basis(hence small position), if things go the way I expect them to this should open 3-4x higher than where it is now.

Added significantly to GLD - not really finding much else to do

Is this a response to the superstockmarket and government monetary policy?

Yes - at the risk of diverting this thread into the political quicksand, I am concerned about inflation as it seems to be a risk that many market participants are discounting right now. I'm cognizant of the fact that gold yields nothing, but I'm overexposed to USD as a US resident, and I think that the fiscal bias of the new administration will be towards more stimulus. We will have the most dovish Fed chair in history working with the second most dovish Fed chair in history (in her forthcoming role as Treasury Secretary) along with a new President who has voiced support for significant spending programs. The prudence of Paul Volcker is long past, we're now well over 100% debt-to-GDP in the US, and given our relatively anemic GDP growth over the past decade, I don't see us "growing out" of that debt, meaning that the only course for policymakers is full on fiscal repression. Anecdotally, I'm already seeing significant increases in grocery prices along with dastardly "shrinkflation" (same price, less food), and it seems like some of the current levitation in the stock market may simply be attributable to the sheer amount of liquidity surging into the system.

That being said, I seem to be an excellent contrary indicator on macro, so those reading this might want to load up on NASDAQ calls :D

Added significantly to GLD - not really finding much else to do

Is this a response to the superstockmarket and government monetary policy?

Yes - at the risk of diverting this thread into the political quicksand, I am concerned about inflation as it seems to be a risk that many market participants are discounting right now. I'm cognizant of the fact that gold yields nothing, but I'm overexposed to USD as a US resident, and I think that the fiscal bias of the new administration will be towards more stimulus. We will have the most dovish Fed chair in history working with the second most dovish Fed chair in history (in her forthcoming role as Treasury Secretary) along with a new President who has voiced support for significant spending programs. The prudence of Paul Volcker is long past, we're now well over 100% debt-to-GDP in the US, and given our relatively anemic GDP growth over the past decade, I don't see us "growing out" of that debt, meaning that the only course for policymakers is full on fiscal repression. Anecdotally, I'm already seeing significant increases in grocery prices along with dastardly "shrinkflation" (same price, less food), and it seems like some of the current levitation in the stock market may simply be attributable to the sheer amount of liquidity surging into the system.

That being said, I seem to be an excellent contrary indicator on macro, so those reading this might want to load up on NASDAQ calls :D

My guess is we get a big inflation head fake later in 2021 as the economy gathers steam. And then the deflationary forces kick in again. I am in the Lacy Hunt / Hoisington camp that more debt = disinflation perhaps leading to mild deflation in a few years. The good news in the US is the consumer is in good shape (debt wise) unlike Canada.

2021 is setting up to be a blowout year for asset prices (driven primarily by free money). Where i live in Vancouver people are starting to predict record price increases for housing in the spring selling season (which of course would set nose-bleed record selling prices). Price increases for housing also look strong in the US. Makes sense to me stocks will also join the party (who wants to own bonds in their portfolio anymore?). Hang on tight... the roaring 20’s might just be getting started :-)

My guess is we get a big inflation head fake later in 2021 as the economy gathers steam. And then the deflationary forces kick in again. I am in the Lacy Hunt / Hoisington camp that more debt = disinflation perhaps leading to mild deflation in a few years. The good news in the US is the consumer is in good shape (debt wise) unlike Canada.

2021 is setting up to be a blowout year for asset prices (driven primarily by free money). Where i live in Vancouver people are starting to predict record price increases for housing in the spring selling season (which of course would set nose-bleed record selling prices). Price increases for housing also look strong in the US. Makes sense to me stocks will also join the party (who wants to own bonds in their portfolio anymore?). Hang on tight... the roaring 20’s might just be getting started :-)

That's certainly a plausible hypothesis, and Lacy Hunt has forgotten more than I will ever know about monetary policy, so it's definitely humbling to be on the other side of the trade. That being said, the reason I'm betting the way I am is that the virus and concomitant lockdowns have destroyed a lot of our productive capacity and gummed up supply chains worldwide, but that capacity hasn't really been restored by the stimulus packages. Handing out cash has not put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

So we have a situation where trillions of dollars are being pumped into the system, but those trillions are not going to things that improve productivity like infrastructure or toward saving the firms that actually need aid. Many businesses were left out in the cold by our previous stimulus packages and are either dead/dying or unable to return to "normal" operations. In the US, we also have relief checks being sent to people who may not have lost their jobs in the first place, and many people, especially the work from home set, have more cash than ever. The Fed's chart of M2 (https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M2) is sobering, and the anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that a certain amount of this money has made its way into speculative bets on options, tech stocks, and cryptocurrencies.

The overly simplified equation to me is: More money sloshing around / fewer goods & services actually able to be produced, delivered, or provided = higher prices for goods and services (especially those with inelastic demand like food) and skyrocketing asset prices. The policymakers seem to be totally out of ideas; their only policy prescriptions are to "print more money" and "kick the can down the road." Just today Janet Yellen talked about issuing 50-year bonds, which would take the US to new levels of can-kicking. To me, since the US will never default (due to its control of the reserve currency) and can't raise rates due to the enormous burden of debt service, the only way out is inflation. This is also a politically palatable option as some of the people can be fooled some of the time by nominal "increases" in their salaries and prices of their houses and stocks.

One thing that strikes me is that both the inflationist and disinflationist/deflationist camps seem to broadly agree that once you lower interest rates to 0% to spur nominal GDP growth, there's no coming back in real terms. ZIRP is like the Hotel California - you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

I listened to Gundlach’s 2021 outlook presentation. I think his basic conclusion is you need to have a barbell strategy to take advantage of either inflation happening or a continuation of disinflation/mild deflation. Smart people seem to be pretty stumped about which scenario we get in the coming year (s).

Sold a small amount of SE to add to BRKB and BAM.

Anything overtly negative for SE?  Or just locking short term bump?  I'm still trying to build a full position for SE.

No just taking some profits. SE has grown to become a much larger position for me than I am comfortable with.  I didn't sell much, about 10% of my shares.

One thing that strikes me is that both the inflationist and disinflationist/deflationist camps seem to broadly agree that once you lower interest rates to 0% to spur nominal GDP growth, there's no coming back in real terms.

It appears as though they are not lowered to 0% before that problem already appears to exist.

Buying ffh.  It's a big change for me.  I haven't owned more than a small amount in years.  It appears quite cheap relative to the rest of the market.  It is selling at less than 90% of Sept 30 book value.  Yet with digit and blackberry  and other subs you still have this ability to participate in a rally.  I still very much question BB but as I said, even using Sept 30 prices FFH is cheap.