What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

A boat?  ;D

There s a good saying, "if it drives, flies, floats, or fucks, rent it"... That said, I totally agree with rkbabang as a boat owner. Expensive, but totally worth it.

Buddy of mine says that BOAT stands for Bust Out Another Thousand!

Get a used sailboat from the 70s or 80s. Someone else owned it through the steep part of the depreciation curve. They're the cigar butts of the boating world. If you really want to be frugal you can buy one for not much more than the scrap value of the lead keel.

Of course then you need to learn how to sail.  I bought a 2007 Sea-Doo Utopia jetboat.  20' bowrider with dual 155hp engines and the best part for lake boating: no prop to damage. Floats in just over a foot of water.

The "prop damage" issue is one reason it might make sense to own rather than rent. I decided against renting a boat this summer when I checked the reviews for the only marina on the lake with rentals. A huge percentage of the reviews said they had been charged their full $1000 damage deposit for damaging the prop.

I'm sure that happens with renters, but the frequency was such that either they have a gravel bar they don't mention right out front or they're scamming people. So we went go-karting instead.

Another thing people don't think about is how quickly you can wear out the impeller in your outboards water pump, if you boat where the bottom is predominantly sandy.

The range of tide in my area isn't huge but there are still a lot of spots that catch boaters with limited local knowledge and poor tidal awareness.

You don't have to actually run aground to do damage to your water pump. Running along in shallow water & sniffing a sandy bottom with your prop will eat up the impeller.

Not so bad if can change the impeller yourself (the parts are cheap), but be prepared to spend $500 +/- to have it done by a tech.

Boats are great fun. Rent 1st and if you find yourself renting enough to warrant a purchase, go for it.

Big chunk of FFH. With insurance hard market, despite the recent run yp, the stock is still cheap. If vaccine news is positive in coming weeks then stock is crazy cheap (if there is a reasonable chance life/economy will get back to normal in 2H 2021 this should be positive for their equity holdings).

SIMO - Greenblatt/ Magic formula type semiconductor stock.

Looks interesting.

Likey likey:

“In addition to our annual dividend, our share repurchase program is another important component of returning capital to our shareholders,” said Wallace Kou, President and CEO of Silicon Motion. “We are committed to opportunistically repurchasing our shares when we believe our equity value may not accurately reflect the company’s future prospects.”

Care to write a couple of lines on your thesis?

SIMO - Greenblatt/ Magic formula type semiconductor stock.

Looks interesting with revenue growth, stable margins, and high ROIC. This thing deserves a thread of its own, IMO. Maybe this is similar to MU, cyclical, long-term trend is upwards, buy when others are looking the other way?

SIMO’s memory controller business is a much better business than MU, imo, because there is less pricing fluctuation and it is fabless. Gross margins are fairly stable around 50%, so it’s not as good as a CPU or analog business, but much better than totally commoditized segments like memory.

I can start a thread and write a few lines, but my thesis isn’t deep: it’s just an OK to good and somewhat lumpy business that is cheep.

He bought Cano Health. I'm trying to find some numbers. So far I've only seen a 4 min video on CNBC with SOrkin interrupting him so I didn't learn much. Medicare Advantage part I think Barry said.

JWS - Barry Sternlicht's SPAC

Has Barry discussed the industry he might use the funds?

"Jaws Acquisition Corp., led by Chairman Barry S. Sternlicht and Chief Executive Officer Joseph L. Dowling, will not be limited to a particular industry or geographic region in its identification and acquisition of a target company, except that it does not intend to pursue real estate, lodging or energy infrastructure assets."

GDYN...large-ish position now

Can you tell what attracts you to GDYN? (Maybe start a thread).

I took a glance and it looks like no growth in recent quarters and years.

It's possible that financials are messed up due to SPAC conversion, IDK.  ::)

Sold 80% INTC position (break even)

Bought AAPL

- Valuation is a bit stretched, but they are best in class with a lot of cash and solid product pipelines imo. Sometimes you have to pay up

So you're paying 31 times their operating income while they are growing at, let's say, 12%? Doesn't sound like the best opportunity out there.