What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

BATRK

I get the thesis with sports teams in general...they are trophy assets that keep going up in value because billionaires don't have anything better to do with their fortunes.

Most of these teams don't generate much in the way of cash flow (probably except NFL due to non-guaranteed nature of contracts), so it's kind of like owning gold where you hope that there's a bigger fool who wants the team for glamour.

There may be a more fundamental angle to this, but I guess I prefer assets that cash flow or have a reasonable expectation of cash flowing.

In the case of MLB specifically , you're owning part of a sport that has an aging fan base and while I wouldn't bet anything on this, the long-term bear case would be that some of these sports become way less relevant and are displaced by alternatives (gaming/esports, soccer).

BATRK

I get the thesis with sports teams in general...they are trophy assets that keep going up in value because billionaires don't have anything better to do with their fortunes.

Most of these teams don't generate much in the way of cash flow (probably except NFL due to non-guaranteed nature of contracts), so it's kind of like owning gold where you hope that there's a bigger fool who wants the team for glamour.

There may be a more fundamental angle to this, but I guess I prefer assets that cash flow or have a reasonable expectation of cash flowing.

In the case of MLB specifically , you're owning part of a sport that has an aging fan base and while I wouldn't bet anything on this, the long-term bear case would be that some of these sports become way less relevant and are displaced by alternatives (gaming/esports, soccer).

The Braves specifically have a pretty decent chunk of associated RE which is being developed and that makes them a little more unique here. Especially in Atlanta, which is one of the great growth beds in the US.

BATRK

To put it plainly...it looks cheap. Baseball may be declining but I’m not too worried about that in the near term (5 yrs). I think the game will change and evolve and people will eventually come back to it. Plus there is the whole tax haven for some billionaire angle to owning a sports team

https://www.yourfinancialwizard.com/taxation-professional-sports-teams-team-owners/

It’s not a huge position for me currently, but I’ll probably continue to add over the next year if it stays depressed. I’m a bit of a sucker for simple thesis.

Bought more CASH @ $18.78.  At some point, I may do a write-up on it.  It's a very interesting and unusual small bank.

wabuffo

Seems like lot of insider selling although it appears to be mainly ex Crestmark officers, possibly diversifying?