What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

INTC - will continue to add on the way down.

AMD -  :o Love the tech, hate the share price.

What do you love about the tech?

For a company with an R&D budget of their size (compared to Intel) it's impressive the lineup of chips and graphics cards they have put out the past few years. They have proven to be competitive with Intel both on price and performance. GPU Radeon 5700 series is currently the best bang for your buck from a gaming perspective (unless your budget is unlimited).

Dr. Lisa T. Su is a great CEO and also recently joined the Cisco board (January). I think she does a good job evading bloat and keeping the pipeline focused on smart innovations.

For a company with an R&D budget of their size (compared to Intel) it's impressive the lineup of chips and graphics cards they have put out the past few years. They have proven to be competitive with Intel both on price and performance. GPU Radeon 5700 series is currently the best bang for your buck from a gaming perspective (unless your budget is unlimited).

Dr. Lisa T. Su is a great CEO and also recently joined the Cisco board (January). I think she does a good job evading bloat and keeping the pipeline focused on smart innovations.

That's fair enough. Thanks. I have serious doubts though.

That's fair enough. Thanks. I have serious doubts though.

My original post might be confusing (sorry). I didn't buy any AMD. I was just highlighting the crazy run it's had the past few days in light of Intel's demise.

I recall about...15 or so years ago, AMD put out Intel-killer CPUs. At the time, they were unable to follow-up with enough scale and successive products to stay ahead. It could have been due to lack of capital (economic and human), perhaps that has changed as I know the Ryzen set of processors has been popular for some time, and ATI/Radeon line has always been a strong GPU. I think that was a pretty good acquisition from a tech standpoint from AMD as they brought on a lot of talent and as we have seen, GPU architecture became important for modern processing (bitcoin mining and similar crunching).

However on the valuation side, it is a bit nuts. Being very conservative you can get to around 16-17x earnings multiple for INTC, compared to 100+x earning multiple for AMD?

The market in my opinion is pricing in some gangbusters growth for AMD. I have not kept up with processing technology for some time so I am not sure what is on the market or what the roadmaps are, but it must be something pretty special to justify that valuation.

Now that doesn't mean INTC is a great buy either. If there truly is some transformative event on the horizon where a lot of demand drops off for Intel's products, it could become value-trapish. That is what I would be careful of - personally I think this does need some product/tech expertise to navigate (which I do not have). Although if you put a gun to my head and made me choose, I'd put my money in Intel. The valuation mismatch seems to extreme in my uneducated opinion.

Bought some GLDD. May write it up later. Very interesting company. Turn around story, high barriers to entry, lots of free call options on various businesses/developments, including global warming.

Looks interesting.

If interested, check out the earnings release/info today. Pretty solid stuff. Board authorized a $75M repurchase program(vs ~$500M market cap). This is a great business with the risks being mismanagement and stupid acquisitions, but it seems thats been slowed down a bit over the past couple years.

I'll try to start a thread on it soon.

Mild form of mental illness is the most likely reason.  Charitable explanation: same reasons Buffett is buying BAC except I'm unfettered by public perception and/or a huge commercial banking relationship with Wells leading to additional regulatory hurdles.  I also think it has better franchises (or at least mix of businesses) and more hidden earnings power (like BAC in 2012, but maybe even more).

Bought RTX (added) and L3 on Monday.

Fascinating the RTX break up delivered good value to UTC shareholders that decided to keep Otis and Carrier.

I also bought Barry Diller’s InteractiveCorp post-match spin-off.

It is the only internet company that is cheap from market value vs sum of the parts AND has a low base for growth.