What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

If you're in you're 20s, 30s, or even 40s, you should be celebrating this downturn (obviously not the health effects). In fact, you should hope for further declines. I know I am.

If you're in you're 20s, 30s, or even 40s, you should be celebrating this downturn (obviously not the health effects). In fact, you should hope for further declines. I know I am.

Unless you run out of cash to invest.

:D :D :D  :'(

Unless you run out of cash to invest.

Well, I should have qualified that as if you still have a job. :P

Added a bit of RHM.DE. I liked it at ~70€, so it ought to be a good buy at 43€ and change.

Also bought back some beloved TRV @$77 and change. Second bid did not hit unfortunately. Sold this yesterday into the surge at close for more than $96. I call this type of market “Nantucket Sleighrides”.

Nothing makes sense any more until it does.

Also got a bit more FOX. People still watch TV, I think.

Been rolling a number of my long positions into two year, deep in-the-money LEAPS which has freed up 40-50% of the cash in the positions.

Will be missing out on some sizable dividends, but have same notional exposure for capital gains and will hopefully make more than the dividends missed by putting the incremental capital to work as new names go down further.

Been rolling a number of my long positions into two year, deep in-the-money LEAPS which has freed up 40-50% of the cash in the positions.

Will be missing out on some sizable dividends, but have same notional exposure for capital gains and will hopefully make more than the dividends missed by putting the incremental capital to work as new names go down further.

Not a bad idea at all.

Not a bad idea at all.

some of those premiums are pretty high looking

Not a bad idea at all.

What would this look like in practice?

Not a bad idea at all.

some of those premiums are pretty high looking

Yeah that's the only setback. You'll have to calculate how much the leverage will cost you. On some stocks it's far worse than others. But freeing up 50% of capital, if you can put that to work and generate expected return higher than your premium cost, it can be useful.

Use thoughtfully.

Not a bad idea at all.

Lets say I own 100 shares of Visa, average cost is 170. Current price is 145 or so.

Buy 1 Call, strike price 85, expiration Jun-2022, for about 67/sh.

Essentially you're buying 100 shares for 152/share (85 strike + 67 call price). But you only need to put up 6700 rather than 14,500 in the market.

So your cost here is 7/share premium divided by the amount of cash you are borrowing ie 14500-6700 or 7800, about 9% or so.

Pricey, but again it depends what your expectations are for that freed-up-cash.

Not a bad idea at all.

Lets say I own 100 shares of Visa, average cost is 170. Current price is 145 or so.

Essentially you're buying 100 shares for 152/share (85 strike + 67 call price). But you only need to put up 6700 rather than 14,500 in the market.

So your cost here is 7/share premium divided by the amount of cash you are borrowing ie 14500-6700 or 7800, about 9% or so.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. For some reason I was thinking it was more complicated than that haha

There are other structures you can use to achieve the same, for example

You can buy the full 100 shares for 14,500 and margin the 7800 against it; use some of the 7800 to purchase a put option to prevent a margin call, and invest the remainder.

Not a bad idea at all.

I'm sure LC knows this but just wanted to clarify for others:

That $7 "cost" is spread over 2.2 years so the annual leverage cost is much less than 9%

Also, visa pays a $1.20 annual dividend so you have to add (1.2x2.2 years) to the $7 cost as you miss out on dividends. That assumes the dividend will not change, which isn't necessarily true.

Adjusting for the above I see about a 2.7% annual cost of leverage. It's not totally equivalent to borrowing on margin from your broker because the above assumes visa doesn't fall below $85 at the time of expiration.