What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

So let me get this clear. You're saying returns on capital, owner's earnings, dividend yield, and retention rates are garbage in? Is there a donkey button on this board?? I hope others don't subject themselves to this "garbage" I'm seeing.

Read the numbers, don't take a cursory view and assume you understand what's being said.

no I am saying your estimates of these variables are garbage in.  what is your expertise?  the street gets these numbers wrong all of the time (mainly because they suck up to management all the time to create their projections).  there is a false certainty to numbers that you dont appreciate, because you are asking someone/something to tell you what to do, and numbers are all too suggestive of wisdom.  capiche?

How would you know what price is reasonable or unreasonable if you refuse to think about what rate the company will grow or shrink into the future? With that line of thought, since "everything is GIGO" as you say, then tell me how you know Visa is a good buy at $120 and not at $240? (Or whatever you choose.)

One can estimate without knowing precisely.

This board should not let itself be watered down.

Spek, what level of cash are you at now?

A bit more than 35% roughly. Hard to tell, because  the equity part goes down so fast.

haha I feel you man.

This is the sharpest decline I've seen. I just wonder how much of the flow is coming from algos selling for non-economic reasons? Anyone with quant background here? Spek has a great point, paralysis by analysis is a real thing.

I'm just applying the 5 year test to everything I buy. That's the only way you can remain poised in this environment.

I have never experienced a market like this although this is slightly new for everyone.  I have been holding onto my cash and every day I think it can go lower - Im fearful.  When does one get the courage to deploy!?

Once you get comfortable owning something at a price for the long-term.

I have never experienced a market like this although this is slightly new for everyone.  I have been holding onto my cash and every day I think it can go lower - Im fearful.  When does one get the courage to deploy!?

If you look at the pace of declines in recent days, USB doesn't look like it will be too scary.  It was at $55 a month ago and it's at $32 today, but it has largely flattened out for the past week.  It's off 50% from it's high.

I'm not making a recommendation though.