What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

I did a post kind of about this.  I don't know what will happen, but NFLX is trading at an "untouchable" valuation and I don't really see how its better positioned than HBO and I think DIS can probably knee-cap them at will.

I am positive on DIS, but I don’t think that DIS streaming channels will be much of a competition for Netflix. Netflix offers you a tremendous amount of content to watch for $10/month whenever and however you like. DIS will offer you some of their content, as well as sports (via ESPN) in segmented plans (I suppose). It will be a much narrower and spezialized offering.

I did a post kind of about this.  I don't know what will happen, but NFLX is trading at an "untouchable" valuation and I don't really see how its better positioned than HBO and I think DIS can probably knee-cap them at will.

I am positive on DIS, but I don’t think that DIS streaming channels will be much of a competition for Netflix. Netflix offers you a tremendous amount of content to watch for $10/month whenever and however you like. DIS will offer you some of their content, as well as sports (via ESPN) in segmented plans (I suppose). It will be a much narrower and spezialized offering.

I don't see it as an either or.

It seems more like when Lowes & Home Depot or WalMart & Target build right next to each other.

I think both Netflix & Disney will co-dominate with Amazon, Sling, Roku & such squabbling for the offal.

It seems more like when Lowes & Home Depot or WalMart & Target build right next to each other.

I think both Netflix & Disney will co-dominate with Amazon, Sling, Roku & such squabbling for the offal.

I believe that GOOG might become a strong player eventually. I also think that AMZN should not be underestimated, since it isn’t a separate offering, but there are over 100M prime members and it is a strong part of their Prime Suite offerings. I use AMZN prime video quite a bit and found it good enough to to cancel Netflix as I found more than enough stuff to watch there.

DIS has to prove themselves in streaming and it is a high stake game for them. Those that cant make the jump from cable to streaming might be forgotten altogether within 10 years just like Blockbuster Video is forgotten.

I believe that GOOG might become a strong player eventually. I also think that AMZN should not be underestimated, since it isn’t a separate offering, but there are over 100M prime members and it is a strong part of their Prime Suite offerings. I use AMZN prime video quite a bit and found it good enough to to cancel Netflix as I found more than enough stuff to watch there.

DIS has to prove themselves in streaming and it is a high stake game for them. Those that cant make the jump from cable to streaming might be forgotten altogether within 10 years just like Blockbuster Video is forgotten.

True.

AMZN is the real competition to Netflix. AMZN lineup was crap a year or two ago but they have been adding shows and movies rapidly. If it was me, I'd cancel Netflix right now (actually keep their DVD service, but that's that). My wife does not allow me to cancel Netflix though. So I guess that's the moat...  :-\

Disclosure: I still have about 30x bagger on NFLX ... on a dinner tab sized position.  :'(

Disclosure: I still have about 30x bagger on NFLX ... on a dinner tab sized position.  :'(

Well, at least you have bragging rights, right?

Or is it worse to be right but have made almost no money than not to have invested at all..?  :-\

Somewhat off-topic, but "having bragging rights" reminds me of this comic about exposure:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/exposure/exposure.png

Or is it worse to be right but have made almost no money than not to have invested at all..?  :-\

Nah. I'm happy I invested. I'm happy to have made some money. And I'm happy to tell people that I have a legit 30x bagger.  8)

It's like that 70 year old who had sex with 20 year hottie told the priest at confession: "Telling you? I'm telling everyone!"  8)  ;D

Additional disclosure: it's dinner-tab sized because I sold a bunch at 2x and 10x and whatever... Well at least it's not like AAPL/ARMH(Y)/GOOGL/FB/Hansen(Monster) where I sold everything at minor percentage gains or even losses at various times.

Wait, Netflix is still running its DVD service? I had no idea!

Yes. Just celebrated 20 years. Cheapest (?) and most convenient (?) way to get all the movies that the SCREWED UP ... sorry ... streaming services don't have.  8)

They are cutting on inventory though. There's more and more stuff that is "not available" with no availability date.  :'(

I may need to duck and cover after posting this, but I bought some Biglari Holdings today.

I know, Sardar is the worst partner money can buy, but this is just a short-term trade on the assumption that the 20%+ drop in the price of BH is due mostly to the company getting dumped from the Smallcap 600 index. Reading reports of the annual meeting that was held last week, it doesn't look like Sardar dropped any unexpected bombs that would explain the cratering stock price (the dual class stock structure was a foregone conclusion). Volume in the stock today was about 30 times normal volume, which is probably due to index funds selling.

In any case, the next couple of weeks will either make me some money or teach me an expensive lesson.

I may need to duck and cover after posting this, but I bought some Biglari Holdings today.

I know, Sardar is the worst partner money can buy, but this is just a short-term trade on the assumption that the 20%+ drop in the price of BH is due mostly to the company getting dumped from the Smallcap 600 index. Reading reports of the annual meeting that was held last week, it doesn't look like Sardar dropped any unexpected bombs that would explain the cratering stock price (the dual class stock structure was a foregone conclusion). Volume in the stock today was about 30 times normal volume, which is probably due to index funds selling.

In any case, the next couple of weeks will either make me some money or teach me an expensive lesson.

I just want to say, to me, this is just such a brilliant move, treasurehunt. - For you, - to me - by the right reasons. CoBF hated stock - long term - tanking about 20 percent - almost - without visible reason.

Please keep us updated on how this plays out for you, short term. You seem detached to the stock, which here seems to be a criteria of success.

“If you don't feel comfortable owning something for 10 years, then don't own it for 10 minutes.”

“Charlie and I look for companies that have a) a business we understand; b) favorable long-term economics; c) able and trustworthy management, and d) a sensible price tag.”

Both Buffett quotes.

I don’t think Biglari is an investment you should feel comfortable owning long-term, nor Sardar a trustworthy partner!

“If you don't feel comfortable owning something for 10 years, then don't own it for 10 minutes.”

“Charlie and I look for companies that have a) a business we understand; b) favorable long-term economics; c) able and trustworthy management, and d) a sensible price tag.”

Both Buffett quotes.

I don’t think Biglari is an investment you should feel comfortable owning long-term, nor Sardar a trustworthy partner!

I think people are interpreting Buffett way too literally. His Korean stock purchases clearly do not meet the criteria above as well. But Buffett still did that trade and made it a point to highlight that.

treasurehunt has a rationale for why the business could be mispriced due to structural factors, understands management factor and seems to think there is enough margin of safety to make a profitable trade. That to me is the essence of value investing. Whether it works or not is a separate issue.

Vinod

Somewhat off-topic, but "having bragging rights" reminds me of this comic about exposure:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/exposure/exposure.png

This made me feel a little bit better about not having 30 baggers.  I've done 2x a few times where I've sized the position at 10, 20, 30%.  They really move the needle when they are sized large. 

Both Buffett quotes.

I think people are interpreting Buffett way too literally. His Korean stock purchases clearly do not meet the criteria above as well. But Buffett still did that trade and made it a point to highlight that.

treasurehunt has a rationale for why the business could be mispriced due to structural factors, understands management factor and seems to think there is enough margin of safety to make a profitable trade. That to me is the essence of value investing. Whether it works or not is a separate issue.

Vinod

I quoted Buffett because I agree with the quote, completely! If you put your money in the hands of somebody that’s not trustworthy you’re on a ride you shouldn’t be. That to me is the essence of a bad investment, whether it works or not.

If you can buy 5% of Biglari Holdings for $100 that would be a bad investment and you'd pass because you don't trust the CEO? Of course not - it's probably the best investment opportunity of your life. If it's cheap enough you buy it. The correct way to think about it is: at what price would you buy it? Labeling all stocks (or newspapers, countries, religions ..) as either good or bad and then discarding the latter group is just shortsighted. There should always be room for nuance.

Is it really that cheap though?

$1.05bn investments, take out $270m for deferred taxes and debt and you have net investments of $780m. Add in $500m valuation on fast food biz (12x normalized earnings), $50 first guard (12x normalized earnings) and a $0 for Maxim. Using a 2m share count (to prevent double counting as repurchased stock is included in investments), you get a total value of  $1,330m. Take 20% off that for the Biglari greed discount and you have a valuation of $1,072m. Current market cap is $875m.

This looks a little cheaper than it should, but is it really worth getting involved in for such a small discount?

$1.05bn investments, take out $270m for deferred taxes and debt and you have net investments of $780m. Add in $500m valuation on fast food biz (12x normalized earnings), $50 first guard (12x normalized earnings) and a $0 for Maxim. Using a 2m share count (to prevent double counting as repurchased stock is included in investments), you get a total value of  $1,330m. Take 20% off that for the Biglari greed discount and you have a valuation of $1,072m. Current market cap is $875m.

This looks a little cheaper than it should, but is it really worth getting involved in for such a small discount?

BH is like buying a minority interest in a privately held business with no dividends.  Stakes in these business routinely sell at 40% & up discounts depending up when an exit event (death) will cause some change.  In this case, Biglari's age actually increases the discount.  I get all the contrary to CoBF logic but I would rather bet on Valeant where if the upside occurs you know what you will get.  If you have to wait 50 years (Biglari's LE) to get fair value for BH's assets, assuming they do not decline in value, is this a good investment?  Now if, BH declares a dividend or does something to return cash to shareholders this discount would be reduced considerably.

Packer

Is the current market cap $875m ?

If you can buy 5% of Biglari Holdings for $100 that would be a bad investment and you'd pass because you don't trust the CEO? Of course not - it's probably the best investment opportunity of your life. If it's cheap enough you buy it. The correct way to think about it is: at what price would you buy it? Labeling all stocks (or newspapers, countries, religions ..) as either good or bad and then discarding the latter group is just shortsighted. There should always be room for nuance.

You’ll find two kind of persons in your life, those you enjoy and those you don’t. For business’ you’ll find those that are trustworthy and those that are not. Avoid the second no matter of price and you’ll never find yourself in a position you may regret.

If management (founder, CEO, etc..) is not trustworthy I don’t even look at the numbers. And no, I don’t think that Biglari will be the opportunity of a lifetime at any price because the CEO may make this a bad investment no matter the price.

Is the current market cap $875m ?

Oops, typo in my calculations, $685m looks more accurate. Hmm.

Well, that is true.  There is a price at which I would buy BH. 

But, as a practical matter, I think it is almost a certainty that I won't buy the stock.  The discount at which BH would be attractive to me is so large, that I can't imagine the stock price would get there.  In my mind, it is too hard for investors to succeed when management has their interests in mind, to invest in a one where they don't.

Both Buffett quotes.

Vinod

I quoted Buffett because I agree with the quote, completely! If you put your money in the hands of somebody that’s not trustworthy you’re on a ride you shouldn’t be. That to me is the essence of a bad investment, whether it works or not.

All I am saying is, by being less dogmatic and our returns would be much better.

If you draw a line in the sand and say if there is a question of management integrity, you would not invest. I can understand that. We all have to draw the line somewhere.

When Buffett invested in Korean stocks, he had no idea about the management. The margin of safety is so high, he can ignore it and still expect good results.

There are many approaches that work in investing. No need for a value investing Jihad on the one right approach.

It is not like what Buffett says is the scripture. There is always more nuance.

What you quote makes perfect sense. I agree too. But you also need to understand the context and where it is applicable.

Here a person is not investing in a business with the intent to hold long term. Walter Schloss did alright with a different approach.

I would buy BH too if the discount to IV is large enough. It is not there for me.

Vinod

Both Buffett quotes.

Vinod

All I am saying is, by being less dogmatic and our returns would be much better.

If you draw a line in the sand and say if there is a question of management integrity, you would not invest. I can understand that. We all have to draw the line somewhere.

When Buffett invested in Korean stocks, he had no idea about the management. The margin of safety is so high, he can ignore it and still expect good results.

There are many approaches that work in investing. No need for a value investing Jihad on the one right approach.

It is not like what Buffett says is the scripture. There is always more nuance.

What you quote makes perfect sense. I agree too. But you also need to understand the context and where it is applicable.

Here a person is not investing in a business with the intent to hold long term. Walter Schloss did alright with a different approach.

I would buy BH too if the discount to IV is large enough. It is not there for me.

Vinod

I agree with you except on the part “I would buy BH too if the discount to IV is large enough...”.

It’s very different to invest in something you have no negatives about management’s integrity, even though you may not know anything positive either (Korean stocks), to investing in something you already know several negatives about management (Biglari). That’s thumb sucking and it has nothing to do with being dogmatic.

There are several companies where to invest, people should avoid companies where management is not trustworthy.