Rest in peace, Mr. Ebert

giofranchi

I am devastated by the loss of my love, Roger -- my husband, my friend, my confidante and oh-so-brilliant partner of over 20 years. He fought a courageous fight. I've lost the love of my life and the world has lost a visionary and a creative and generous spirit who touched so many people all over the world. We had a lovely, lovely life together, more beautiful and epic than a movie. It had its highs and the lows, but was always experienced with good humor, grace and a deep abiding love for each other.

--Chaz Ebert (Mr. Ebert’s wife)

I don’t remember a single movie rated 4 stars by Mr. Ebert that I didn’t like.

I think he was among the very best movie critics and his departure is a great loss for everyone who loves cinema and its history.

giofranchi

I think he was among the very best movie critics and his departure is a great loss for everyone who loves cinema and its history.

giofranchi

I fully agree.  I think he transcended the role of "movie critic".  If you followed his reviews, it was obvious how much he loved the cinema.  Many critics try to be "objective" but really just become emotionally and aesthetically turned off.  His writing was always filled with spirit and humanity.

I am devastated by the loss of my love, Roger -- my husband, my friend, my confidante and oh-so-brilliant partner of over 20 years. He fought a courageous fight. I've lost the love of my life and the world has lost a visionary and a creative and generous spirit who touched so many people all over the world. We had a lovely, lovely life together, more beautiful and epic than a movie. It had its highs and the lows, but was always experienced with good humor, grace and a deep abiding love for each other.

--Chaz Ebert (Mr. Ebert’s wife)

giofranchi

+1

giofranchi

+1

+2

---

The following is an article that Mr. Ebert wrote on death and humanism.  I thought people on this board who haven't read it yet might enjoy: http://www.salon.com/2011/09/15/roger_ebert/

jasonfx,

Thanks for the link to a nice way to bookend my memories of Ebert.  I'm old enough to remember "Siskel and Ebert"  ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Siskel ).  I have fond memories of their show.

Both these guys passed too soon.  Two intelligent, witty guys.