Carol Loomis

arbcon

She is an old friend from long ago who is kind enough to spend a few hours with the students of a value class which I teach at Villanova(the class is 4 years old). This is a special(one time) treat for an old friend because she does not do this sort of thing anymore-she values her privacy and I respect this, of course. We're having lunch in her boardroom, and I wanted to ask if anyone here had any questions-the primary purpose is to give the students exposure to her and so I can't guarantee a response- but I can try if anyone has anything . I'm focusing more on Carol and less on Warren(though she will have plenty to say about WB I would think ) and Berkshire.

Arbcon,

Please ask her when she started editing / writing Berkshire's annual letter.  Ask her if she and Warren discuss the content back and forth or if she just edits it after he has completed his thoughts.  What percentage of the content is hers V. his?  Do they have an outline for the next 5-10 years of letters and the topics they want to discuss in each, or is each one spontaneously generated based on the past years events?

It would be wonderful to learn as much as we could about this process.  Thanks for posting.

Best regards,

Eddie

30 years ago Eddie! Content goes back and forth over a period of months beginning in December. She views herself as performing an editing role. She would say everything in the letter is Warren's and that the letter doesn't have any timing sequence in it. I'm focusing on her other articles as well...she did a great one on Bethlehem Steel for example.

I asked Carol your question on her favorite article...she likes the work she did on derivatives. I totally understand why Warren is a close friend...she is one of the most warm and brilliant persons that I have ever met. She did so much to inspire our students...absolutely an amazing experience.

We were supposed to get one hour with her but it turned into three. We spent 1.5 hours on her career at Fortune, an hour on Warren, and ah half hour on her book. I had arranged for forty to be flown in and she autographed each one individually for the group.

She is very warm, very smart, highly numerate, and very highly focused in her responses to questions raised by the group.

• 5 years later...