Great TED Talk by Allan Savory

Liberty

Agree.  Really impressive talk.  One thing that he doesn't address is how much CO2 could have been released through desertification of grassland and how much could be locked up using his holistic management technique.

We may yet see large herds grazing across the grasslands of the world.  But they will be beef cattle managed across multiple property owners lands.

Watched this talk, and apparently he is controversial..  I'm certainly not qualified to render a good opinion.

http://organicfarms.wsu.edu/blog/climate-change/savory1/

"Savory is a controversial character amongst the scientific community, both deservedly and undeservedly. From my perspective, there are three basic reasons: 1) the scientific literature supporting HM is considered by many of his peers to be inconclusive, 2) HM includes some unconventional approaches, and 3) Savory can be less than flattering in his commentary about other scientists and scientific institutions.

Savory has been the target of some fairly harsh criticism within the rangeland science community, none more critical than a paper by Briske et.al. (2008) concluding that the experimental record for short-durational grazing systems (that they consider equivalent to HM) was inconclusive and therefore doesn’t support HM recommendations. They conclude that most of the science used to support management recommendations for these systems is either anecdotal or statistically inconclusive because the experiments were poorly designed (they didn’t isolate single variables for analysis). Savory and his closest proponents (Teague et.al. 2008 – strangely, a co-author on Briske et.al. 2008) have provided rebuttals arguing that Briske et.al. mis-represented HM in their study sample and that their conclusions are, consequently, not relevant. While I don’t think that critiques are necessarily a definite dismissal of the legitimacy of HM, I do think they raise an extremely valid question … “Where’s the data?”"

• 2 weeks later...