• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest wellmont

I've migrated to feedly but awaiting for the Reeder app to support it

I use feedly on firefox. The old method was to use a browser add-on.  The new method starting yesterday is to delete your browser add-on, restart firefox and then go here:

http://www.feedly.com/index.html

No browser add-on is required now.

the addon puts a nice little button in handy place on the browser. :) I am keeping mine.

I've migrated to feedly but awaiting for the Reeder app to support it

I use feedly on firefox. The old method was to use a browser add-on.  The new method starting yesterday is to delete your browser add-on, restart firefox and then go here:

http://www.feedly.com/index.html

No browser add-on is required now.

the addon puts a nice little button in handy place on the browser. :) I am keeping mine.

I never used the button anyway.  I'm not sure if it is an add-on I'm using (I've got a ton of them installed) or a feature of firefox, but when I right click on a tab I get the option to "pin tab".  This makes that tab permanent, so it is always there.  My permanent tabs are gmail, feedly, yahoo portfolio, my yahoo watchlist, facebook and Corner of Berkshire and Fairfax.  These tabs are just permanent fixtures on my browser. Also the mini tab extension is a must so that you can have tons of tabs open and you see only the favicon unless that tab is selected, I currently have 26 tabs open and they only reach about 2/3rds of the way across the tab bar.

After a few attempts, I've finally moved from Google Reader to Feedly. At first I was dismayed by Feedly lumping all my feeds together. For example, in Reader, I had my investment related feeds grouped under the label "investment". Reader still let me select and read each feed individually. Feedly doesn't appear to allow this. To work around the issue, I have my feeds all labelled with unique labels (e.g. "investment-abc"). Slightly annoying but no big deal as I used the occasion to whittle down my subscriptions to 10 feeds (including non-investment ones).

I don't know what you are using it on, but on the firefox version of feedly you can hit "index" and get a list of all your feeds, then just click on one to read it.  You can set the index page to be your default page in the settings.  I prefer the firefox feedly to the iPad feedly app for this reason.

After a few attempts, I've finally moved from Google Reader to Feedly. At first I was dismayed by Feedly lumping all my feeds together. For example, in Reader, I had my investment related feeds grouped under the label "investment". Reader still let me select and read each feed individually. Feedly doesn't appear to allow this. To work around the issue, I have my feeds all labelled with unique labels (e.g. "investment-abc"). Slightly annoying but no big deal as I used the occasion to whittle down my subscriptions to 10 feeds (including non-investment ones).

I hated how Feedly combines all the feeds into one large one.. I like them seperated just like how they are in Reader

Heads up: Digg has a reader built into their app that was just released today and it does a good job at

I don't know what you are using it on, but on the firefox version of feedly you can hit "index" and get a list of all your feeds, then just click on one to read it.  You can set the index page to be your default page in the settings.  I prefer the firefox feedly to the iPad feedly app for this reason.

Great tip, thanks! I've set the "index" to be my Feedly start page.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks all these need Google acct because they connect to google in the background. Anything which does not require the google id?

First time poster, long time lurker here.

InoReader is the best Google Reader alternative so far and I've tried a couple (feedly, feedspot, aol, digg, newsblur just to name a couple). It is very similar to Google Reader, it gets developed very rapidly and they respond and react to feedback. Their Android app is in beta right now yet miles better than anything I've tried. You can also register without a Google or Facebook account.

Looks all these need Google acct because they connect to google in the background. Anything which does not require the google id?

Netvibes. 

I chose it because it kind of combines my Google reader and iGoogle home page. 

It is lacking as a permanent home page like iGoogle is but I like the reader. 

I second d29's inoreader rec.  Gmail account not required to set up account and it can be removed at any time.

A google reader clone with very similar layout and keyboard short-cuts.  Easy to navigate preferences. 

Very happy with it as it'll be my primary tool to track RSS feeds for EDGAR filings.

I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with Feedly or use InoReader, there are things I like and dislike about each.  But one thing I discovered which made it easier to try out InoReader was that you can export all of your feeds from Feedly in OPML format then import them into InoReader (and likely any other reader as well).  This is necessary, because logging in with your Google ID no longer does it now that Google Reader is gone.

To export from Feedly go here http://cloud.feedly.com/#opml , select all of the text on the page and copy it to the clipboard, open a text editor and paste it in. Then save the file as feedly.opml

You can then import this into InoReader in the settings. You will have all of your feeds organized into all of your categories.

• 4 years later...

Back when this happened I ended up switching to Digg Reader.  Today they say they are shutting down the RSS reader March 26th...  Anyone have a current RSS reader favorite that doesn't cost anything per month?  Doesn't seem like it should cost $5 per month to use RSS