Google Reader will not be available after July 1st, 2013

beerbaron

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am bummed as well.  Will wait to see what options may be the best to switch to.

Where is AMZN on this?  Why can't I subscribe to RSS feeds through my Amazon account, such that they go to my Kindle app on my iPad and phone, and are available through a nice website for my desktop/laptop?  They're missing an opportunity to make their customer base even stickier.

A lot of people are recommending feedly to me, although I haven't personally switched yet.

http://www.feedly.com/

Personally, I'll wait to see what is created and what filters up in late may early June. I suspect we'll see a lot of new products.

In my mind, this is a great example of how Microsoft misses the little things. If they were clever they would do a bing reader and make switching from google reader to bing reader a breeze (one click). In combination they should also try to capitalize on the growing anger towards google by making switching from gmail to hotmail or outlook.com only a few clicks.

OK -- I've signed up for Feedly, Newsblur premium, FeedDemon and The Old Reader in the last 48 hours.  Here are my thoughts.

Feedly - nice aesthetically, but slow for my tastes and the iPad version has the annoying inability to put things in list view

Newsblur - hard to say, their servers are swamped.  Interface looks ok, but not as intuitive as Google Reader

FeedDemon (PC download) -- fastest option so far with ability to get through many headlines.  Lacks some of the intuitive features of Google Reader and annoyed by inability to make subfolders.  Obvious downside is that feeds exist on your desktop and inability to mirror on phones/tablets

The Old Reader -- this may be where I end up.  Most like Google Reader, and the site seems to perform well on my iPad (no App, just Safari).  There is a backlog for importing your feeds, but from what has been imported so far, looks good.

I agree this is a really odd move.  Reader is one of the top 5 Google services I use.  Google just became meaningfully less useful to me. 

The feedly ap on my tablet looks fantastic.  I'm not entirely sold on it, but it does broaden my perspective on what an RSS reader might be.  Haven't look at the browser version yet.

Since I'm a creature of habit, I will probably check out Old Reader as well.

I still can't believe that they are doing this... you would think they would keep it with everyone hating the move.

Somewhere I read that RSS reader is not one their top 23 apps. It is used by less than 0.18% of google users. i think google is nuking all the small projects which do not bring revenue.

Newsblur - hard to say, their servers are swamped.  Interface looks ok, but not as intuitive as Google Reader

Yeah, I've had the same experience. Seems like they didn't expect the growth spike. I'll wait a bit and then try them again, because apparently they are supposed to be quite fast.

There are tons of better RSS readers out there on every device. Google hadn't improved Google reader in years. Not surprised they're ditching it.

Any suggestions other than the ones mentioned?

As an aside, Feedly looks nice but I need something fast, not pretty.  Flipboard et al are useless to me.  I need to get through hundreds of PR and articles on companies I cover quickly...anything that fits that bill that is platform independent and can be used on iPad + PC + iPhone?  Right now Old Reader is in the lead for me...

There are tons of better RSS readers out there on every device. Google hadn't improved Google reader in years. Not surprised they're ditching it.

Well, the reader website had not been glitzy, but it has always been very fast and very reliable, and a large number of client applications use Google Reader's API as a way to synchronize state.  Personally I do more of my reading in Reeder than any other application, so I'm waiting to see what they are going to use for a backend, and will likely just switch to that.

I've been using Feedly since I got the notice.  If you go into settings and make the index page your start page and change the default view to "condensed" it is quick and minimal like reader was.  Also right now they are basically a front end for google reader, but plan on seamlessly transitioning all of their users when reader shuts down:

Transitioning from Google Reader to feedly

I'm planing on trying some of the other readers as well when I have some time.  Feedly is good enough for now though.

Any suggestions other than the ones mentioned?

As an aside, Feedly looks nice but I need something fast, not pretty.  Flipboard et al are useless to me.  I need to get through hundreds of PR and articles on companies I cover quickly...anything that fits that bill that is platform independent and can be used on iPad + PC + iPhone?  Right now Old Reader is in the lead for me...

don't have my iPad w/me, but RSS HD & Feedly (as mentioned already) are probably my favorites.

Guest valueInv

Well, the reader website had not been glitzy, but it has always been very fast and very reliable, and a large number of client applications use Google Reader's API as a way to synchronize state.  Personally I do more of my reading in Reeder than any other application, so I'm waiting to see what they are going to use for a backend, and will likely just switch to that.

Same here. My most used app on all devices.

• 2 months later...

I signed up for Feedly.  I like it so far.

What are you guys going with?

I'm also on Feedly.  It seems ok, but I'm not totally sold on it.  They did improve it a lot since the mass migration though, so I bet it will evolve over time.

I use the Mr. Reader and SlowFeeds apps on my iPad to read RSS, so I'm trying to stick to services that they'll both support. Right now, I'm evaluating Feed Wrangler ($19/yr) and FeedHQ ($12/yr). Until I decide, Feedly is free, and I'll use it as my backend once Mr. Reader and SlowFeeds start supporting it (hopefully, before July 1). I might even stick with Feedly if it seems to be working well, but I'm kind of leaning towards a paid service so I know the rug won't get pulled out from under me again in the future.